1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Colour vs Monitor Driver File Issues

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Copernicus, Feb 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Copernicus

Copernicus Thread Starter

Last Fall I changed up to a 17" Monitor,made by Dell, used, and a the same time installed an SVGA card. I cannot get 256 bit color resolution nor can I get past 840 x 600 pixels with the Hardware Graphics Accelerator on high. The SVGA card came with its own software which I did install but I am wondering if there is a conflict with the differing driver software, like the Microsoft vs the Card software that is causing all this. Do I need a dedicated driver file for the Dell monitor and, if so, how do I get one without having to deal with Dell's cookie monster? Thanks in advance

2. brushmaster1

brushmaster1

Since the video card was installed at the same time as the monitor, it is much more likely to be the source of the problem.

How much VRAM is on the card? A 1MB card will not be able to run more than 256 colors at any resolution higher than 800x600, for instance.

3. Copernicus

Copernicus Thread Starter

The card is described as being SUP-VC-CP-VANTA 8mb AGP V/C.
    I take that to mean that it possesses 8 megs of RAM which, if I understand you correctly, should be more than enough to support the Monitor in 256 colour mode. If the card is the issue do I need a Dell AGP or Video Card and the associated software and what would be the best source? Thanks.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/119559

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice