1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved COM & LTP not present in Device Manager(Win7), COM ports not

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by CalvinHobbesian, Nov 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. CalvinHobbesian

CalvinHobbesian Thread Starter

PC is Windows 7 Pro 64bit, MSI Z77 MPOWER motherboard.

I'm attempting to flash a bootloader to my 3D printer, which requires connecting it to my PC via USB and using the Arduino software. Unfortunately when doing so the Com ports menu in Arduino was greyed out no matter what I tried and so I couldn't select the printer or USBasp device.

On further investigation, I discovered that the COM & LPT section isn't present in my Device Manager, and using "mode" in CMD returns CON info but no details on COM & LPT ports at all. I went into the BIOS and ensured all USB-related options were enabled, which they already were, and additionally I updated the drivers for both of the motherboard's USB 3.0 controllers. Still nothing.

I feel at this stage I must be missing something stupendously obvious, but I'm drawing a blank. Can anyone suggest what's going on/a fix?

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
  3. CalvinHobbesian

I hadn't, I had earlier versions of those. Regardless, after updating to those ones, there is still no Ports section in my Device Manager(even after selecting "Show Hidden Devices").

4. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Are the parallel and serial and other legacy ports enabled in the BIOS?

---------------------------------------------------------------

5. CalvinHobbesian

There were no options for those specifically in the BIOS, just the two USB controllers and "Legacy USB Support", all of which were enabled.

6. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    I'm not there to see what your computer/printer setup looks like.
    I'm also not familiar with what you're trying to do.
    Hopefully, someone else here may be able to help you.
    Good luck. (y)

---------------------------------------------------------------

7. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Looking online that Motherboard doesn't have a COM or LPT connector on it and that's why they aren't in Device Manager.

8. tecknurd

tecknurd

Try connect it to one of the USB 2.0 ports and not the USB 3.0 ports. Some USB 3.0 controllers are not compatible with USB 2.0 devices.

What USB to serial chip does the 3D printer contain? If it contains a chip made by FTDI, you may need to download drivers and install them.
    Code:
    https://www.ftdichip.com/FTDrivers.htm

I have used Arduino Uno R3 board, but not all of them.

I don't have a 3D printer. What is the brand and model of the 3D printer?

9. CalvinHobbesian

Yes, but if a device is assigned a virtualised COM port it should show up, no? The very first troubleshooting step I found when searching was to go into the Ports menu in device manager and change the COM port that had been assigned to the USBasp - the issue being the menu never showed up for me.

It's an Ender 3, the mainboard is proprietary but based on the ATmega 1284p.

The issue is I'm trying to follow a literally idiot-proof step by step video on what to do(), it's just that when I try to do it I don't get the same result - the issue arises at the step shown around the 4 minute mark, where he sees the option to select/confirm a COM port in Arduino IDE, all I see is a greyed out unselectable menu.

10. CalvinHobbesian

After discussion over on the Arduino forum, it turns out the tutorials were just a bit off - the com port is utterly irrelevant to burning the bootloader, it can be executed through the USBasp without anything being assigned so long as Windows recognises the USBasp is installed, and once the bootloader has been burned Windows will properly recognise the printer when plugged in via USB cable and automatically download the requisite drivers and assign it a com port.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1219492

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice