1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Com port for modem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by CADCAM, Dec 21, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. CADCAM

CADCAM Thread Starter

I did an upgrade on my firmware for my modem and now my modem shows it is on com port 3 . In my device manager it shows com 1 and com 2 ports only. I can't connect to my server. If I go to Dial up networking and try to connect it says it can't find the modem. I checked my modem and it shows it is working ok. The modem is a LT Winmodem. How can I get this problem fixed so I can get back on the net?

2. Randy48

Randy48

Have you tried going into Control Panel/System/Device Manager and removing the modem from the setup? If not, give it a try and reboot and if the machine does not "find new hardware" as it's coming up, go to add new hardware and reload the drivers. Chances are your machine "lost the drivers" or the drivers became corrupted. Also, you may need new drivers with the firmware upgrade!

3. CADCAM

CADCAM Thread Starter

Yes. When I did that it found the modem and installed the firmware but still came up on com port 3 and worked the same way.

4. Randy48

Randy48

:confused: that's interesting! COM ports 1 and 3 and 2 and 4 are both the same. Send me an e-mail (so I don't forget) and I'll dig out some data sheets I have at home buried away on how to change the settings. There is a way to change the IRQ to specify which port the modem is on. It's been so long since I've done it, my old gray head just cannot remember!

5. CADCAM

CADCAM Thread Starter

I checked some web sites and found a 5.48 driver for my modem on the HP website. I am going to try to install it tonight and see what happens. I'll let you know what I come up with.

Thanks

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/62502

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice