1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Com Port issues?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kepiano, Apr 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kepiano

Kepiano Thread Starter

Hi. I've got a question about com ports. I am running win 98 and I would like to know how many com ports I should have showing. When I look in the device manager I am seeing com1 and com5. To further make things confusing I have an external modem showing on com1 and com5 (the same modem showing up twice) and an internal modem that claims to be on com2, but com2 doesn't appear in device manager. The internal modem does not work. If anyone can shed a little light on the situation, I would very much appreciate it.

2. Kepiano

Kepiano Thread Starter

To add to this: the internal (pci) modem will dial and then try to verify the password and then it tells me that a connection could not be made. It was my understanding that win98 doesn't recognize 5 com ports....so how come I have com5 showing up? I would like to get the internal modem working, so if anyone has any ideas or info.....
    Thanks

3. Kepiano

Kepiano Thread Starter

I have tried removing the internal modem from device manager, shutting down, reseating the modem and then rebooting. Windows found it, loaded drivers for it just fine. It is now listed as being attached to com port 4. Device manager shows no conflicts. But the modem still does not work. It still tells me that a connection could not be made. Pleeeaase, somebody help......

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/219121

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice