Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Com port numbers

1K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  JohnWill 
#1 ·
I have 2 USB ports on my laptop which are com 5 & 6. I have a program that needs com 1, 2, 3, or 4. Can anybody tell me how to assign a different port number to my USB ports.

Thanx

#2 ·
Normally, the driver that emulates the COM port will have a provision to change the emulated COM port. Have you looked in Device Manager under the properties of the emulated COM port?

#3 ·
In my device manager under Ports(com & LPT) it says "Prolific USB-to-Serial comm port 5" if I go under port settings> advanded my com port number is ghosted. Maybe if I explain what I am trying to do it will help... I have a mini PLC that I am trying to hook up to my computer with and USB to Serial adapter. It works fine on another laptop in the office that has a 9 pin serial port in the back.

thanx

#5 ·
It is my PLC software that is looking for com 1 to 4... not the hardware. My PLC is plugged into my USB port. Can you tell me how to tell what is connect to ports 1 to 4. I need to make one my USB ports 1 to 4. Is there any way of doing this through windows.

#6 ·
Knowing the make and exact model of the mystery device you're trying to connect might help. You say it's not the hardware, but you're plugging in hardware, right? I presume the folks to really answer this question is whoever made the PLC (whatever that is).

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.