1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Com Port Problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rbaroncpd, Sep 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rbaroncpd

rbaroncpd Thread Starter

Hi All,

I am having trouble with my COM ports. They don't open. I downloaded a freeware program to test the ports but when I run it the program responds with "Port Won't Open."

So.....how do I "open" a non openning port?

Thanks,

Rich

2. stod73

stod73

Did you check your bios settings?

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    May I ask what you are try to do? Com ports are generally Serial ports, which are rarely used today. Modems are also assigned COM ports.

4. rbaroncpd

rbaroncpd Thread Starter

I am trying to connect two computers using Lap Link. I can't receive a "connection" between the two computers.

I downloaded a utility RS226 or something like that (I am home now and am not in front of the computer) and it reports "Com Port 1 Not Open." when I run the check.

Another lister asked if I checked the BIOS.........not that familiar with what to do once I look at the BIOS on startup.

Thanks for the help.....I still need help.

Rich

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    In the bios you can enable or disable your serial ports - you have to press F2 or DEL to enter the setup. Try looking under Intergrated Peripherals to see if COM 1 and/or 2 are enabled - which they should.

An easier and much better way to network two computers is using a 10/100 network card and a cross-over cable. This is much faster and you can share resources, files, and internet.

6. stod73

stod73

Thanks Triple6, couldn't have said it better myself....

7. rbaroncpd

rbaroncpd Thread Starter

Thanks you guys....but it still does not work. I know I can do the crossover cable thing but it's a brand new Dell and I kind of want all the stuff on it to work.

I did the bios thing and found the Com1 port to be set to "Auto" so I set it to "on" and still it does not work.

I guess a call to Dell is in order.

Rich

8. rbaroncpd

rbaroncpd Thread Starter

I just wanted to share this so others won't pull out their hair.

I installed Palm Desktop and the Hotsync thingy took over the serial (Com 1) port. I disabled it and all is working well now.

Thanks again,

Rich

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/166833

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice