1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Com port problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by wvslp, Aug 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wvslp

wvslp Thread Starter

Earlier this evening, there was a storm in my area. Nothing bad, but it did thunder and lightning some. While it was storming, I was on the internet using a dial-up modem. My computer disconnected from the internet for some reason and now will not reconnect. In fact, if my computer is plugged into the phone line, you hear the "if you'd like to make a phone call" message, like the phone is off the hook even when you're not trying to connect. As soon as you disconnect the phone line, you get the dial tone back. (I checked and the jack works ok, my phones work ok, and the phone cord works okay). So, I went into the modem and clicked on troubleshoot. The first thing it said was that the com port needed to be enabled. It told me to go into the device manager and click on "port". Well, when I go into the device manager, there is no port listed. Help??

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Welcome!

The modem is always the first thing to get destroyed in an electrical storm, as a severe voltage can easily be developed between the power network and the telephone network.

The fact that your modem "holds up" the phone line indicates its most likely dead.

If the modem was internal, then the "port" will be a virtual port created by the modem driver. These types of COM Ports are not hardware. If it was external, the port should be listed. It always pays to describe exactly what hardware and Windows version you use.

You will almost certainly need a new modem, as to anything beyond there in the PC its anyones guess how far inwards within the PC the fault was driven, if at all.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/490358

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice