COM Surrogate Error Checking No Progress Showing

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Shandalin

Hello Everyone,
I recently built my first computer and decided to dual boot Ubuntu 16.4 and Windows 10. I tried to use my external hard drives on the new build to transfer files. I couldn't get my 3TB or my 500G to mount in Ubuntu even though I had used them both in Ubuntu on previous computer. Windows would not even recognize that the 3TB was plugged in but I was able to open the 500G. I attempted to copy a file to the drive and it was interrupted with an error "corrupt file" and only half the file was copied. I then tried to delete the half file and was unable to do so. I then safely removed the hard drive to try again on my old system which is also operating Windows 10. Now the hard drive is not accessible, only option was to scan for errors and repair. Probably shouldn't have but did, and now it is has been four hours and it is still showing zero progress. I checked task manager and the application is running but is it actually doing anything? I can't tell. Should I cancel the error checking if no progress is shown thus far? Will this cause more damage? What are the chances I can retrieve the files? What happened as the drive was operating at a normal capacity before, it sounds like I may have acquired a USB virus may be? Or possibly unmounted improperly from Ubuntu even though it said it couldn't be mounted? I'm still pretty new to everything so sorry for the multiple questions but I do try to learn from my mistakes lol! Thanks Very Much!

Shanda

managed

Allan
Hi Shandalin and welcome to TSG.

For Windows to see a hard drive larger than 2.2TB the drive has to be set up as GPT instead of MBR.
Have a look in Disk Management to see which type it is, see here for the details :-http://www.howtogeek.com/245610/how-to-check-if-a-disk-uses-gpt-or-mbr-and-how-to-convert-between-the-two/

If it is MBR you should be able to change it to GPT like this :-
https://www.partitionwizard.com/convertpartition/convert-mbr-to-gpt-without-data-loss-windows-7.html
Although it says no data on the drive will be lost I would copy anything you can't afford to lose from the drive before the conversion just to be safe.

Chkdsk should have shown some progress after 3 hours so I think you should cancel it. Not sure what's happening with that 500GB drive, try a different Usb cable if possible and copy a large file onto it to test.

EDIT : When did you get that Com surrogate error ?

Last edited:

Shandalin

Thank you very much for the warm welcome and for the response.

The 3TB works fine on my other Windows 10 machine just not on the new build so not sure that it is a compatibility with Windows issue but I will for sure read the suggested links, try it and get back to you on that, however right now my main concern is the 500G.

I have tried to cancel the scan and repair on the 500G but it will not let me cancel or close the window, should I shut it down with task manager? I do have important files I do not want to lose if at all possible, so what is the safest way to remove the drive in this situation?

I never did get an official com surrogate error, but when I plugged the hard drive into my other Windows 10 machine the only available option was to scan and repair, and Com Surrogate is running the error checking application. When I try to access it through file manager it simply says F:\ is not accessible access denied.

Thanks again very much for your time and help !

managed

Allan
Ok if another Win 10 sees the 3TB drive then it should show up on the new build too, even if it's MBR although it will only show a size of 2.2TB for the whole drive.

I think you will have to try to shutdown the computer normally, that could end the scan of the 500GB but it might refuse to shutdown while the scan is still running. If so you will have to use task manger to stop the scan. Both of those should be safe to do.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts