1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

COM1 advanced settings

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by aussiehat, Feb 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aussiehat

aussiehat Thread Starter

An acquaintance gave me the link to your answer to a specific question I had asked him, namely 'how do I make an advanced setting for COM1 serial port when I get a message saying that I need write privilege in the registry for 'this device'. I am the administrator on my machine and I have a label printer hooked up to COM1 on a WIN2k system and need to change a setting I believe it has regarding a FIFO buffer. I also have an XP system on another machine and always get the same impediments as I do on WIN2k. I can't get into that advanced setting when I click the 'Advanced' button in the COM1 port settings window.

But when I tried your suggested solution, adding values into the registry path "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\
    system\current......pnp0501\1\Device Parameters" (trying to add a binary value into the right pane for the above branch) I just get a message saying "Cannot create value: Error writing to the registry". Foiled again!
    Same thing happens, by the way, if I try this on my XP machine. Do administrators get no respect?:rolleyes:

2. aussiehat

aussiehat Thread Starter

Partially solved: Right-clicking registry key gives 'permissions' option on XP but not on Win2k. Giving permissions to 'everyone' on the XP allowed me to put new values into right pane of Device Parameters key. I put the values in suggested by The Oracle and they worked. I was able to get into Advanced settings for COM1 port. But how do I set those registry permissions in Win2k where my device is?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1091253

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice