1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Combine empty d drive with c drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Likeatalltree, Jul 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Likeatalltree

Likeatalltree Thread Starter

My hard drive is partitioned into a c and d drive and i wanted to combine both drives into one drive. Is there a way to merge my empty d drive into my c drive without removing all my data on the c drive? My d drive is completely empty.

Thanks

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Well, there are 3rd party solutions, but I'd make SURE you have a backup of your C: drive BEFORE you do this. The safest way to do it is to delete the D: partition, and then extend the C: partition. The merge function in Partition Magic sucks IMO. I'd consider Acronis Disk Director to do the task.

3. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

I've never used Acronis; but, I have experience with Paragon Hard Disk Manager Pro and Partition Magic. I have run into enough problems with Partition Magic failing certain operations that I have pretty much retired it in favor of Paragon Hard Disk Manager.

Although I don't recommend modifying partitions without backing up data, I can say I have never lost data resizing or combining partitions.

My systems all back uip every two hours, anyway.

4. Likeatalltree

Likeatalltree Thread Starter

Someon told me to delete the partition manually and merge the D drive with the C drive. The way they said it, it sounded like it was common knowledge! Can you do it manually without purchasing any program?

Thanks

5. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

6. dobbelina

dobbelina

If I had the choice I wouldn't change a disklayout to only one C: drive if it's
    the only disk you have.
    Keeping the D: drive to store important data, backup's, drivers etc can be invaluable
    if a problem one day occurs.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/486677