1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Combing Laptop and Desktop monitor screens on desktop monitor

Discussion in 'Networking' started by misty45, Feb 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. misty45

misty45 Thread Starter

I am using a Toshiba laptop A105-S4104 and a desktop computer both using XP Professional with both on the same two computer network. I have identical programs on both. I would like to get the two screens together on the desktop in order that I might drag and drop data. I do not wish to replace the entire files on either computer but to combine the two as I like. I have seen this done by making the desktop monitor into a half screen then bringing the laptop screen to the other half of the desktop. Can you explain how this is done? Many thanks.

2. JoshFraser

JoshFraser

Hey There! Welcome to the forum!

I believe you possible mean remote desktop (Microsoft Terminal Services Client) however i dont think you can drag files between windows.

The best way of doing it with both pcs on the network would be to open my documents and type in the address bar "\\OTHER-COMPUTER-NAME\C$" that will give you access to the c drive on the other pc depending on Firewall settings.

To find your PC name right click on my computer and click properties. Then click the computer name tab. Your computer name will be shown next to 'Full Computer Name:'

Josh

3. misty45

misty45 Thread Starter

Thank you Josh. I don't believe this is what I am trying to accomplish. The person I saw do this was uusing a genealogical program on both computers. He made the desktop monitor a half scrreen on the right. He had the same screen open on both computers--a genealogical screen. He then hit two or three keys on the Thoshiba and the identical screen from the laptop popped up on the desktop. It was a full screen which he then reduced to a half screen on the left of the desktop. With two identical screens on the desktop, he then could drag and drop and end up with data from both computers combined, eliminated or do whatever he wished to get the screens exactly alike. Then he popped the laptop screen away and the desktop was left. This way he could edit each genealogical page and have the laptop and desktop data exactly the same. This is good because one takes the laptop on trips and adds data that is not on the desktop and also different data is added to the desktop from other sources. He said it was ijmportant that both screens have the exact same data. I hope that I have explained this clearly. I cannot locate the man who did this, but it was so simple and so quick. Again I thank you for your time and effort.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/903229

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice