1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Combining Linksys Router and Belkin Wireless Router

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Gemo, Feb 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Gemo

Gemo Thread Starter

My network needs to connect to 6 wired PCs and 1 wireless PC.

Right now the Linksys 4 port router connects to the ADSL modem and 4 PCs -and I want to add a new Belkin wireless router to provide a wireless LAN access and have 2 add'l LAN ports.

Therefore, can I, and how do I configure the devices, so that the ADSL modem would go into the Linksys router; the Linksys would provide LAN connection to 3 PCs and the 4th port would go to the input of the Belkin router, which in term would provide wireless access and 3 more LAN ports?

Thanks.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Connecting two SOHO broadband routers together.

Configure the IP address of the secondary router to be in the same subnet as the primary router, but out of the range of the DHCP server in the primary router. For instance DHCP server addresses 192.168.0.2 through 192.168.0.100, I'd assign the secondary router 192.168.0.254 as it's IP address.

Disable the DHCP server in the secondary router.

Setup the wireless section just the way you would if it was the primary router.

Connect from the primary router's LAN port to one of the LAN ports on the secondary router. If there is no uplink port and neither of the routers have auto-sensing ports, use a cross-over cable. Leave the WAN port unconnected!

3. Gemo

Gemo Thread Starter

OK, great - thanks johnwill.

For further clarification - the Linksys primary router does have an uplink port so I connect a LAN cable from that port to one of the LAN ports on the Belkin (secondary) router?

Regards.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Yep, if you have auto-sensing ports on at least one device, or an uplink port, a straight cable will do the trick.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/328618

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice