1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Combining multiple Tables into one table

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by softspoken, Apr 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. softspoken

softspoken Thread Starter

I have 6 tables that have the same Column headings but different data that I need to combine into one table.

Can anyone explain in detail as I am a novice user how to do this.

(Access 2003)

Thank you

2. OBP

OBP

Hello again.
    If the data is all completely different then you choose the Table that you want to keep it all in, or create a new one.
    You then create a simple Select Query for one of the other tables, in design view change it on the main menu using "Query" to an "Append" query, Access will ask for the name of the table you want the data to go in and when you choose it it will match up the Field names for you. Run that Query and then either repeat the whole thing for another table or add another table to the query and reselect the Table for each field name and then delete the old table and run agian.

3. softspoken

Ok so guide me a little. I have 6 tables selected for this query ... i changed it to an append query ..and it asked me for the table name that I wanted everything to append to. I gave it the name .. and then what .. ? This is what I did. I selected all the field names from the table i wanted the data to go to and then i ran it.... and its locked right now .. was that right and will it append all of the tables ? I told you i was a novice user .. i need special guidence lol

4. OBP

OBP

You should only try and Append One table at a time, it may take a long time to run and Append a lot of extra records if you have more than one table in the query.
    Try presses the esc key to stop it or close the database.

5. softspoken

ok so I am trying just 2 tables... added it to my append query... gave it the name of the table i wanted the information appended to ... and selected all of the field names from that table that the information is appending to ... and hit run ... its running ... but it wont end... i see some data and it looks right but its taking for ever.... when i click on show me the last record .. it takes for ever and then all of a sudden i have this in all the fields....."NAME#" can you help me with what im doing wrong.. thanks

6. OBP

OBP

When you say, "I am trying just 2 tables", do you mean just 1 table and the table to put the data in?
    If you can email a copy of the database I can do it for you.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/918566

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice