1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

combofix.exe winlogin error

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by Danylu, Jul 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Danylu

Danylu Thread Starter

Hi

I had a similar problem to the guy over here:
    http://forums.techguy.org/malware-r...68-post-virtumonde-cryp_morphine-removal.html

I have Windows Vista Ultimate SP1 32bit if that helps.
    I have 2 x 500Gb hard drives in RAID0 partitioned to a C and D drive, C being the primary Windows Drive and D being where I backup all my work etc...

Full hardware specs:
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.41Ghz
    2x2gb OCZ Reaper [email protected] 5-5-5-12
    2x500Gb Western Digital GreenPower (More info above)
    Gainward 8800GT 1Gb Golden Sample
    Coolermaster Real Power Modular 800W

I followed the instructions, it all went well until I tried combofix.exe

It asked for a restart and as one of the posts said to expect this, I allowed it to happen, upon Windows restarting and the login screen appearing, I proceeded to enter my password and sat back waiting the spinning circle to do its work.

Then came the error, "Error: The handle is invalid." and a "OK" button underneath it.

So I simply tried again with same results. So then I went to hit the restart button on the bottom right hand corner, but the problem was that the button animated (glowing as I clicked it) but nothing happened.

Restarted computer and tried all the safe modes with same results.

What went wrong? How can I fix it? Oh and I can't really provide any logs as I can't log on, I am writing this thread on another computer.

I seriously need to access my work and everything on it. The best scenario is that I am able to view C Drive and copy everything from that to my portable hard drive.

Things I have thought about doing tomorow as I need to desperately finish a report tonight for tomorow:

PLAN A: As according to this site (http://www.pctoday.com/Editorial/ar...10.asp&articleid=48991&WordList=&bJumpTo=True) , try to repair Windows.
    PLAN B:Try to get myself a Windows Password Reset Disk .iso as i never thought of making one myself and I do not have access to any other Vista machines. Might not work though.
    PLAN C: Contact Acronis Support as I have Acronis True Image 11 and one of the features is to restore computer even if Windows doesn't work. This is 2nd priority as I haven't backed up all my latest work and stuff.

LAST RESORT: Reinstall Windows and lose all my work. I have another question, If i reinstall Windows, will it wipe both partitions (C primary & D backup) or will it just delete everything on C and leave D alone?

It seems I will learn a valuable lesson the hard way through this mistake.

THANK YOU.

PS: I had a hard time deciding which forum to post this in. Hope i got it right.

EDIT: Just reread the other thread and it said save directly to desktop, at the time of reading, I assumed that it meant desktop = computer as in don't install it to network, but now that I think about it, did it mean save to desktop as in desktop home page windows thing? Because if it does, I didn't do that step right!:eek::mad::eek:

2. Danylu

Danylu Thread Starter

Ok, Hi everyone again.

Today I tried to fix this and I fixed it. Can someone tell me how to find 'Last Known Good Configuration' as the first few times I got the boot menu I didn't get that option, and how do I get the boot menu without hitting the physical reset switch when the computer is on? Thanks

Oh and I can't enter my Combofix log as it is too large...

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/731322

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice