1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

COMCAST blocks email except to there web browser!

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by obolek, Oct 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. obolek

obolek Thread Starter

I received this email from COMCAST. Comcast has completely prevented me from sending/replying through Outlook express. I'm not a spammer. The most I send are 10 or 12 (sometimes political) messages to my friends. I have McAfee business protection installed, updated regularly. Changing to Port 587 has no effect. Going to COMAST's "one click fix" doesn't work.

QUESTION:How do I regain access to my Outlook Express (preferably without changing from Port 25 because I don't want my email going through COMCAST's servers).

EMAIL FROM COMCAST
    "Dear Comcast Subscriber:
    ACTION REQUIRED: Comcast has determined that your computer(s) have been used to send unsolicited email ("spam"), which is generally an indicator of a virus. For your own protection and that of other Comcast customers, we have taken steps to prevent further transmission of spam from your computer(s).

Third-Party Mail Client Users (Outlook, Outlook Express, etc.)
    If you use Outlook Express, the steps we have taken to protect the Comcast network will not allow you to send email until you apply a simple one click fix available at http://www.comcastsupport.com/alternateport. While this will restore your ability to send mail it is still important to remove any possible viruses from your computer. This can be done by using the McAfee Antivirus and Firewall software (offered to Comcast.net
    subscribers at no additional charge) available from Comcast on the Comcast Security Channel or by using other popular antivirus solutions that are widely available.

Note: this one click fix currently only works with Internet Explorer. If you use a different browser, please click here for steps to manually change your port."

Thanks for any help members may provide.

Obo

2. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe

You probably cannot change this behavior unless you have another SMTP server that you can authenticate through.

Most ISPs require that outgoing mail go through their SMTP server to prevent spammers from using their outgoing server to send mail. At least by signing on and authenticating they can validate that it is being done by a valid subscriber.

I use a different SMTP server from that my ISP provides, but I set my eMail client to signon and authenticate with the other SMTP server.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!