1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Comcast Cable

Discussion in 'Networking' started by gascan, Jan 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gascan

gascan Banned Thread Starter

i just bought a Linksys Compact Wireless-G router WRT54GC for my comcast internet,im using a Motorola Surfboard modem, the modem has a cat5 cable, and a USB cable connected to the computer before i bought the wireless router. after i installed the router, i cant get online. the computer is connected to the router, the router is connected to the modem at this time, when i access the router IP, i have to disable the motorola modem, when i try to get online, i have to disable the computer's network card, and i did not need to connect the cat5 cable to the modem to get online, just using the USB cable from the modem to computer, when i connect the laptop to the internet using wireless, i connected, and have strong signal, but i just cant get online.
    this is my first time experiencing comcast internet, i would like to ask for your help, let me know if you can solve this please,thanks

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

I'm a little confused, but it sounds like you have 2 connections to the computer: USB and NIC. Those are alternatives and you should choose one or the other, not both.

3. gascan

when i only use the modem, it has a cat 5 cable and USB cable connected to the computer,at this time,the internet works fine, after i installed the new router, now i have cat5 cable from computer to router, cat 5 cable from router to modem, and USB cable from modem to router,
    and at network connections folder, i saw 2 connections,one is the computers's NIC when i connect the computer to router, and other says : Motorola Surfboaed modem USB connection.
    i cant get online with the router, only working with the modem. the modem connected to the computer with a USB cable to get me online, with cat5 from the router, i cant. the Linksys router software detected the router and let me do the setup,but after that i still cant get online, or use the wireless.

4. hewee

hewee

5. barnnyardd

barnnyardd

i just did this.use cat 5 cables (2).if the modem is connected to the pc with usb unhook it.run i cat 5 cable from the modem to the internet slot on the back of the router.run the other cable from the pc to the #1 slot on the router.if it does not work call linksys, they have great free tech support and free 800 #.

6. hewee

hewee

What I was saying because what you said in the other post was you had both the USB and the nic card hooked up at the same time. You can not do that. Use one or the other but not both. The nic card can be faster then the USB so I would do that.
    Did you look at all the paper work that cme with the router because my Linksys had a nice fold out color pamplet that showed everything that was very easy.
    You do not have to install the software that comes with it. Well maybe on a wireless you do. You also what to password protect things so no one else can pick up your wireless connection. Just how I don't know but others here will know.

7. gascan

thanks for the help,i will try again when i have time

8. hewee

hewee

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/538946

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice