1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Comcast Digital Voice

Discussion in 'Networking' started by taz1127, Jul 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. taz1127

taz1127 Thread Starter

hope someone can answer this for me i have comcast internet on dedicated line upstairs considerining telephone service i have 2 telephone lines (#'s) from nid one line goes to upstairs rooms and second line goes thru basement wall how will they install the service with wiring like that with 2 numbers?

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Are you going to get two Digital Voice numbers?

3. taz1127

taz1127 Thread Starter

yes i am having them ported from another provider

4. JohnWill

In that case, you'll have two discrete connections to the VoIP box, and you can simply plug each one into a convenient phone jack for the line in question.

Note: MAKE SURE you disable any connection from the local phone company BEFORE plugging those lines into the VoIP box!

5. taz1127

taz1127 Thread Starter

but with the lines actually meeting outside to the nid how will the 2 lines be connected to the voip box? and where would they locate it dont want them drilling holes or runniing new line because current modem is on dedicated cable line upstairs where only 1 number is

6. JohnWill

You will disconnect the two lines in the NID FIRST!

The VoIP box will be wherever your cable modem is currently. You'll need to arrange to get both lines to the nearest jack that services the two lines from that location.

7. taz1127

taz1127 Thread Starter

thing is upstairs line run right outside then down wall to nid rest of house is running thru basement then outside then up to nid though

8. JohnWill

Well, what can I say. You obviously have to connect the VoIP box to the phone line in question if you want to use it with the Comcast service.

9. taz1127

taz1127 Thread Starter

true well that is where the real problem lies where to put the box and run the wires since the setup now has to be changed in some way

10. JohnWill

That's obviously a decision that you'll have to make, based on the specific layout of your house and where things are located. If you have a wireless router, I'd suggest a central location for the best coverage. :)

11. westcoaster

westcoaster

your modem will be replaced with a device that has outputs for line1 and line 2. Both lines should go to a newly installed wall plate with 2 jacks. Behind the wall plate, 2 pairs of lines are hooked to each jack and travel back to the NID . Then the technician will route those lines to the appropriate locations in the house by splicing into the wiring.

12. JohnWill

How much interior wiring will Comcast do? When I had cable installed, they weren't much interested in doing interior wiring without charging an arm and a leg! Verizon, OTOH, was willing to do quite a bit of wiring when they brought in my FiOS service.

13. westcoaster

westcoaster

It depends really on what is your asking an installer to do. Outlets can be post wired to most locations on an outside wall. In order to get this type of service to work properly in any home,
    the wiring may have to be modified some at no charge to the customer. However, if you want
    additional outlets that did not exist before then charges could apply. Outlets that you request which involve wall fishing or entering an attic are usually referred to an outside contracting company. In most cases, it is relatively simple to backfeed all the existing outlets so that everything worked just as it did with your previous provider.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/597025

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice