1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Comcast frequent connection drops

Discussion in 'Networking' started by desmk2, Nov 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. desmk2

desmk2 Thread Starter

Hi guys, first time poster here. Logged in with hopes that what looks like a pretty vibrant community could help me out with a rather annoying issue.

I've been experiencing some instability with my comcast cable internet as of late (probably for the past 6 months or so) where I lose my connection for around 30s to a minute before I regain it again. It happens quite a few times on some days and not at all on others. I'm not using a router.

Here are my signal stats for the moment:

Frequency 711000000 Hz Locked
    Signal to Noise Ratio 36 dB
    Power Level -1 dBmV
    Channel ID 10 Frequency 34400000 Hz Ranged Power Level 54 dBmV

Any ideas?

2. desmk2

desmk2 Thread Starter

mind telling me how that's relevant to my issue before i start downloading random files?

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Probably an ISP or modem problem, but could be ethernet cable or computer. Try another cable. Do you have another computer with which you could test?

Does the modem have any LEDs? If so, what are they telling you during the loss of internet access?

4. desmk2

desmk2 Thread Starter

All LEDs are on as usual at the time of dropped connection

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Did you try eliminating the router from the picture and connecting directly to the Comcast modem? If it's a direct connection to the modem with no router, I suggest trying this test for a 24 hour period and seeing what you see.

Run this Internet Analysys by HostMyCalls, I'd select a 24 hour period to get an analysis of a full day's traffic.

When the test completes, post the link to the results here.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/961639

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice