1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Comcast Internet running at 54.0 Mbps

Discussion in 'Networking' started by ToonKid, Mar 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ToonKid

ToonKid Thread Starter

This started happening on Wednesday
    All of sudden, my internet started run very slow! At 54.0Mbps and it never happened before...
    I'm using Windows Vista, I have Comcast Cable Internet, and a Linksys Wireless N Router, I don't know what just happened here cause now my internet runs very slow, especially when i download a file that is less than 50MB, any help?

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Does this just happen for wireless connections? Have you tried a wired connection as a test? Even at 54mbits, Comcast should run full speed.

Download and run this Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector, paste a screen shot of the Network screen here. Note that this application requires NET Framework to run. If you get an error about a missing function, download and install NET Framework.

To post a screen shot of the active window, hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file. To upload it to the forum, open the full reply window and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here.

3. ToonKid

ToonKid Thread Starter

Alright just now i tried the wired connection by taking out the Ethernet cord that ran from the modem and the router into my laptop, check the internet speed and it was at 100.0mbps but when i ran firefox this message came up saying that the modem was obsolete... The modem is a 'Motorola SB4200 SURFboard Cable Modem'

4. ToonKid

ToonKid Thread Starter

Alright heres a pic of the networks tab from [​IMG]the program

Attached Files:

5. hewee

hewee

Comcast has doubled the speed here and it got worse as they was doing work but then got better. Still some slow routes but downloading is twice as fast in most places for me. But I think they are over loading the system at times because of the added speed.

6. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    are you sure everything in the wireless chain is set to N and NOT to G
    G happens to max at 54mbps - the xirrus shows as N - but it might be worth a check, just in case the 54 is significant because of G limitations

7. ToonKid

ToonKid Thread Starter

I checked it and it was N
    Although this weekend i did find out something, my brother had Bittorrent running at the time, did that program had something to do with the internet running so slow?

8. JohnWill

You bet! Not only will it hog the bandwidth, but it also opens a slew of connections, and many routers will choke and lock up! You know where the issue is now. ;)

9. ToonKid

ToonKid Thread Starter

aww geez..ok, so I guess our router and modem is fine, so about Bittorrent, would everything go back to normal if we uninstall it or do I have to do other things to make the speed work again

P.S - What the heck is a bandwidth?

10. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    i would uninstall bit torrent - also make sure you do not have any malware of virus on that PC now - although some sites are legal - most are not and full of virus/malware - just have a read of the malware forum here,
    so make sure your virus protection is upto data and run a full scan
    also run malwarebytes http://www.malwarebytes.org/ and superantispyware http://www.superantispyware.com/

If you find the PC is going slow or other issues like popups - run a HJT log - see my signature for a link to the program - on the machine and make a new post in the HJT forum, and we can close this post

bandwidth
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bandwidth

11. ToonKid

ToonKid Thread Starter

I just uninstalled Bittorrent from that PC, I ran both programs, found no malware, spyware, or viruses, Internet still at 54.0mbps...

12. JohnWill

Connect directly to the modem with one of the computers with a wired connection and post the following information.

Run this SpeedTest and post the link to the results here.

Run this PingTest and post the link to the results here.

13. ToonKid

ToonKid Thread Starter

The speed for a wired connection is 100mbps The speed for a wireless connection is 54.0mbps Right now i don't think comcast is behind the slow speed, i think it's my router, i use a Linksys Wireless N WRT160N Router

14. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Brand and model of your wireless adapter?

15. ToonKid

ToonKid Thread Starter

Realtek RTL8187B Wireless 802.11b/g 54mbps USB 2.0 Network Adapter

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/908444

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice