1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Comcast to dsl server issue

Discussion in 'Networking' started by hockeyfreak863, Feb 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hockeyfreak863

hockeyfreak863 Thread Starter

I have a webserver that i was using comcast to host, then i switched to bellsouth dsl. The problem is i can get to the server which is at dailylol.dynalias.org only locally, if i type in the ip 98.64.192.--- it will not load same with the ftp server, any ideas, i have changed the dyndns account to forward so im lost as to what may be the problem, any help would be great thanks.

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    If bellsouth's terms of service do not permit running a public server on your account, they may be blocking incoming connections to common server ports.

I just tried a tracert to dailylol.dynalias.org and the reverse DNS lookup for that URL came back as 192.168.1.2 which is totally wrong. The whole 192.168.x.x range of IP addresses is reserved for private IP addresses on LANs, not public IP addresses on the Internet.

3. hockeyfreak863

hockeyfreak863 Thread Starter

does bellsouth change the ip addresses alot? b/c my ip has changed 3 times tonight. its now 98.64.0.--- , so i should just take my server down then? What if i need to host a ftp

4. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    I can not speak for Bellsouth's DSL service. We have AT&T Midwest DSL (or whatever they call themselves this month) and the only time I notice our dynamic IP address changing is after the modem has been turned off for a few hours. I have not seen it change with the modem being on for a few days or if there was a quick power cycling of the modem.

EDIT: For your last question; depending on what you wish to achieve, there may be be alternatives to hosting your own FTP server.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/903062

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice