1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Comcast triple

Discussion in 'Networking' started by joegarf, May 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. joegarf

joegarf Thread Starter

Had comcast triple play, dropped the phone, now only have TV and Internet, do i still need a modem???:confused:

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Of course you need a modem for internet access. I don't know how the TV is connected and what is needed.

3. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    You can replace the gateway (modem/router combo) with a standalone Modem and separate router. I have successfully used Motorola surfboard modems with Comcast since 2004. The latest is SB6121. I bought off the shelf at Best Buy.

4. joegarf

joegarf Thread Starter

Thanks for your help, was not sure, i thought a modem was only needed for the phone hook-up, my tv is connected directly into the wall, but use my Asus router for wi-fi, i am some what computer literate, but need a little help with the peripherals....

5. hewee

hewee

They gave you the phone modem but the phone part will not work now. I had the same modem for years after I stopped Comcast phone because I got the Ooma Phone that cost less. Like cost of phone and for me Nothing to use. Newer Ooma have to pay a small tax fee each month but I got mine before they started that so do not have to pay, So I have not had a phone bill the pass 6 years.

Comcast new modems are with the phone option and WIF|. But phone only works if you pay and I think you get a battery to go in it for the phone.

But good thing about Ooma phone is I just need high-speed internet to make it work. I can any place in the world and use it but only calls to the USA and Canada are free. If someone you call also has Ooma then you can call them any where i the world for free.

6. joegarf

joegarf Thread Starter

Thanks to all, much appreciated for the help, great web-site...

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Some people may still insist on the original definition of modem (modulation-demodulation) and say that a modem is only used for dial-up internet access. I use modem to mean a device that "translates" from "ISP talk" to something that a router or ethernet switch or computer or similar understands. To use an IP phone with cable internet you need a cable modem and a router that supports an IP phone; usually combined into one device that I would call a modem/router (with phone) combo but the ISP may call a modem or a router or a gateway.

8. joegarf

joegarf Thread Starter

Thanks for you expert advice, much appreciated!:confused:

9. hewee

hewee

Well I have hooked up my Ooma in many ways and have hooked it up without a router and it still works.
    Had router before and after the Ooma.
    Had Ooma without a router
    Now have it in the newer Comcast modem/router.

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Ooma is a consumer telecommunications company, right? Do you hook up that company?

Or do you hook up the Ooma Hub or Ooma Telo? The Ooma Hub (and the newer Telo) is a router (with phone), right?

11. hewee

hewee

I have the Home Ooma Hub for my home.

They have Home phone http://www.ooma.com/for-home/
    They have business phone http://www.ooma.com/business

I have hooked it up with and without a router and the Ooma before and after the router.
    Now have the all in one Comcast modem/router.

I have used it without a computer when I took it to the internet jack at a Hotel in the conference room because people had trouble with Cell phones. Later they got a phone app to use and hooked the cell phone to the computer that was hooked to the internet jack.
    Now I bet they had a router some place at the Hotel but we never used one.

The Telo the router is also just an option.
    This is a .pdf download link. It has same jacks and hooks up the same way as the Hub
    Ooma Telo Quickstart Guide

Your also see Alternative Setup Options

Now I can have phone with say any landline phone company also and have two lines to one phone but they took that away on the Telo I think.

But I unhook the phone from the phone company outside at the box so I can also plug the Ooma into the wall jack and then get the phone on all the other jacks. Telo you can do the same.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1148121

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice