Comcast XB3 cable modem not playing nice

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

brainwave89

I have a Comcast XB3 cable modem, TP-Link D7 AC1750 wireless router and Linksys 10/100 16-port switch. I decided I needed to upgrade my equipment. I purchased a Netgear 16-port (unmanged) switch and a Edgerouter X. I have two UniFi AP's. Before replacing the TP-Link with the Edgerouter X I installed the Netgear switch. When I hooked up a cable from the TP-Link to the Netgear switch the Ethernet port that I was using successfully from the TP-Link stopped working. When I disconnected the cable from the switch I had internet access again. The same thing played out when I hooked a brand new 5-port (unmanaged) gigabit TP-Link switch.
When I hooked-up the Edgerouter X replacing the TP-Link wireless router I was able to access the internet briefly with an Ethernet cable from the Edgerouter X to a laptop but will stop working within a minute.

When I plugged back in the TP-Link wireless router and Linksys 10/100 switch I was able to have access to the internet again when wired from either the TP-Link or the Linksys switch.

Would might cause the new equipment not to stay online when using a wired connection?

Maybe cable problems? Try a new cable. Although less likely in ethernet cables, I find old cables get bent into a fixed position which they then prefer.

Fireflycph

Morten
Not all switches can be "daisy-chained" Some have a specific Uplink port that must be used to connect to another switch. Generally, I believe it is the case with older switches. If they're newer you certainly should be able to connect them together. You can also try to use a cross-over cable. I've had success using those on equipment that wasn't supposed to work together.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online