1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Comdo FIrewall

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by preet_kumar, Jul 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. preet_kumar

preet_kumar Thread Starter

My OS is windowsxo-home SP2. I had been using Zonealarm (free) for the last few years, but the newer version was not being recognised by windows. So I changed to Comodo. But Comodo takes more than an hour to get initialised. I went to the Comodo forum, but could not even find out how to post a message.

I would appreciate knowing the experience of other members with this firewall. Is there another free firewall which is better than comodo?

Thanks
    Preet

2. Striker840

Striker840

I run Comodo, and AVG free with no issues at all. Have you tried to un-install comodo and redownload the installer package and try that??

The first time you run it, it does take a little bit of time to get it set up, I have mine set at custom and the first few times it was in the "learning" state. Once I got thru that tho I have no issues at all.

3. Augie65

Augie65

I have been using Comodo for sometime now and I think it is the best.
    You have to register at Comodo Forums to post. I would just read the manual installing and setting up Comodo.
    Comodo User Manual is linked on this page.
    Just leave in Custom Level, the default, and Comodo will learn as you Allow or Deny. If you want to always Allow or Deny, click the box to remember your answer. The Component Monitor will be in learning mode.

4. preet_kumar

Thanks to all those who have replied. I have not tried uninstall and reinstall. I will give it a few more days to see if initialising gets faster.

Yes, it is in custom mode and is set for learning mode

Preet

5. Ralphn

Ralphn

I have been running Comodo for about six months, and its seems to be a good firewall. I found that it will continue to initialize sometimes for quite a while unless you double click the task bar icon and click the slide button for security level and then it will be fine. Seems to be a minor bug that was talked about a while back in their forums. Will probably be fixed when new version comes out as they do know about it...Ralphn

6. preet_kumar

Thanks Ralphn. I shall try it tomorrow.

Preet

7. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

R-Firewall

8. alan.b

alan.b

Upon Start Up various icons generally appear in the Notification tray - but not always.
    What does not appear there may still be running if you use Windows Task Manager.
    I am told by others with IT Dept. experience on many machines that this is part of the joy of Windows XP.

I have also observed that when I hover over the Comodo icon it generally says it is set to "custom" and is up and running, BUT sometimes it says it is "Initialising", in which case I merely right click on the icon and choose the option to "adjust security level" and it shows me it is at custom, and allows me to choose "Block All" or "Allow All". Instead I merely click on the middle option, i.e. I re-affirm that I want "Custom", and immediately after this I can hover on the icon and it now is up and running - I think it was ALWAYS up and running after the first second or two from start-up, and my actions made no change other than to cause a refresh of status information that Windows sometimes overlooks as it rushes around at start-up.
    I think this too is part of the joy of Windows XP.

n.b Even when it says it is initialising, before I force a status display refresh, it will still seek my decision to allow or deny applications that I have chosen not to have "remembered", and it still shows in the Log that it is blocking Network Rule violations - so it is working even if the Windows XP notification tray is presenting obsolete status information.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/594019

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice