1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Come back Vista Sidebar, Come back

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Het Irv, Nov 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Het Irv

Het Irv Thread Starter

A friend of mine just got a laptop with Windows Vista on it from his work. When he first got it he right clicked on the sidebar and changed some options that hid the Sidebar (thats all he remembers, I'll post any updates that he gives me). I was trying to bring the sidebar back up for him and I cannot find anything that works for me.

Under Options the option for the sidebar to start on boot is enabled, If I search in Vista for "Sidebar" I see a "Windows Sidebar", but when I click on it nothing happens.

On another post I saw something about .DLL's but I don't think that applies because the Sidebar never messed up, It was just disabled.

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Right click the Sidebar icon that is in the systray and select properties.
    See if there is something there that may need to be check marked.

3. uhaligani

uhaligani Guest

Type MsConfig in the RUN and chack under services that the Windows Defender is ticked.
    Also open the RUN/Services.msc. Make sure Windows defender is set to Automatic.

4. kspoon

kspoon

You can also open Windows Sidebar by clicking the Start button , typing sidebar in the search box, and then pressing ENTER.

Also if you go to "Help" and type "Sidebar" you will find a number of options.

5. Het Irv

Het Irv Thread Starter

@DaveA: There is not a Icon in the Systray for the sidebar. Even if you right click on the taskbar and force it to show the icon (Properties - Notification Area - Customize), It will not appear.

@kspoon: Tried that, no dice.

@uhaligani: Defender is truned off, and there is not an entry for the sidebar in Ms config.

Update: We think that the sidebar was disabled by turning off all of the gadgets. Hope that helps.

6. uhaligani

uhaligani Guest

OK. Set Defender to Automatic. Restart and then run defender from the program file or the menu. You can then tick the little square which says "run on startup" or something like that.

7. DaveA

First Name:
    David
    What version of Vista is this?
    Since he got it "From Work" his IT people may have disabled this item. I would NOT be messing with a "Work" machine!

8. DaveA

First Name:
    David
    Try "Windows Key + Space bar" this will bring the sidebar to the front of the desk top. He may have pushed it to the back ground.

9. Het Irv

Het Irv Thread Starter

Will try the Windows Key+Space later when he gets back. As to the "IT people" ...well we are the IT people. Version: Vista Biz

Windows + Space did not work also now the battery state Icon is not there (Related?)

10. Het Irv

Het Irv Thread Starter

It's Back... W00t.
    To get it back we right clicked on the windows sidebar icon in the start menu and clicked restore previous version... and Lo and Behold...its back!!!!1!!!!!!1one.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/648503

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice