Coming into $400 bucks for my birthday, so I need you guys.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

axeman61

Actually it's 500, but I’ll only be using 400.

Situation
I’ll have $500 dollars to spend for my birthday. I want to spend 400 on computer and home-entertainment stuff. With my low needs, 400 might go a decent way. I came here because I really didn’t want to waste the money.

Here’s what I know for sure I want:
A DVD player for $39
A new VCR for the same price.
Another hard drive with at least 80 GB on it.
Maybe some RAM. I have only 502 MB right now. For some reason, AIDA 32 can't tell me what type of RAM slots I use. Hmm.

Guess what? I can now purchase things online. My pre-paid Mastercard came in. It’s a debit card you can recharge with cash. With that news, I’m open to your newegg.com or whatever-online-store suggestions. That’s the main reason I made this thread instead of looking around myself. This online deal adds a new dimension. My cousin (we bought the computer through him) might even get a few rings over this. I really don’t want to waste this money.

I guess some questions I’d like to ask for help with this are: Know that I have AIDA32.
-How can I find out how much HD space my computer can take?
-I’m looking for an internal hard drive, but would there be benefits to an external/portable one besides backing up stuff? I don’t think I have anything to hide.
-Would it be wise to hook up an 80 GB drive as a slave to a 40 GB master? I would transfer all the data and whatnot, but I don’t know how and don’t want to risk anything.
That’s it for now. If there’s anything you would like to know about my system to help, let me know. I use the computer for internet browsing and playing multimedia. No games.
Any help is much appreciated.

axeman61

Field Value
Computer
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
OS Service Pack Service Pack 2
DirectX 4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)
Computer Name 8X2MC61 (D. Hopkins)
User Name Daniel Hopkins

Motherboard
CPU Type Intel Pentium 4 530J, 3000 MHz (15 x 200)
Motherboard Name Dell Dimension 4700
Motherboard Chipset Intel Grantsdale-G i915G
System Memory 502 MB (DDR2-400 DDR2 SDRAM)
BIOS Type Phoenix (11/23/04)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)
Communication Port ECP Printer Port (LPT1)

Display
Video Adapter Intel(R) 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset Family (128 MB)
Video Adapter Intel(R) 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset Family (128 MB)
3D Accelerator Intel GMA 900
Monitor Hansol 710A(+)/710E [17" CRT]
Monitor Hansol 710A(+)/710E [17" CRT]

Multimedia
Audio Adapter Intel 82801FB ICH6 - AC'97 Audio Controller [B-1]

Storage
IDE Controller Intel(R) 82801FB Ultra ATA Storage Controllers - 2651
IDE Controller Intel(R) 82801FB/FBM Ultra ATA Storage Controllers - 266F
Floppy Drive Floppy disk drive
Disk Drive WDC WD400BD-75JMA0 (37 GB, IDE)
Disk Drive Memorex TD CLASSIC 003B USB Device (243 MB, USB)
Optical Drive PHILIPS DVD+-RW DVD8631 (DVD+R9:2.4x, DVD+RW:16x/4x, DVD-RW:8x/4x, DVD-ROM:16x, CD:40x/24x/40x DVD+RW/DVD-RW)
SMART Hard Disks Status OK

Partitions
C: (NTFS) 35055 MB (1993 MB free)

Input
Keyboard Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard
Mouse PS/2 Compatible Mouse

Network
Network Adapter Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connection (169.254.210.71)
Network Adapter WAN (PPP/SLIP) Interface (70.236.165.76)
Modem Conexant D850 56K V.9x DFVc Modem

Peripherals
Printer Dell Photo AIO Printer 922
Printer Fax
Printer Microsoft Office Document Image Writer
USB1 Controller Intel 82801FB ICH6 - USB Universal Host Controller [B-1]
USB2 Controller Intel 82801FB ICH6 - Enhanced USB2 Controller [B-1]
USB Device Dell Photo AIO Printer 922
USB Device USB Composite Device
USB Device USB Human Interface Device
USB Device USB Mass Storage Device
USB Device USB Printing Support

Problems & Suggestions
Problem Disk free space is only 6% on drive C:.

Well I would start by upgrading the HD space, but you are very fast going to be making more and more upgrades, you may need a bigger PSU, and then a new case.

You can take up to 4 gigs of DDR2, but can use only 3gig, but you'll want to install in pairs to use the dual channel.

Graphics card upgrade will help alot too, you have PCIe16x, so any good PCI express card will work, but again this brings you back to possible problems with the PSU.

As to the RAM I would go to www.crucial.com and input the computer information you got from Everest and they will tell you all the RAM that is compatible for your machine. You can printout all the info to use as a reference in your shopping. You can probably beat the CRUCIAL prices at Newegg or other sites but at least you'll have the info on what you can use.

As to hard drives if you ask 10 people you'll probably get 10 different answers. I have been using MAXTOR drives in my builds for a number of years and had very few problems. They have a good selection of both internal and external drives and if you decide to go the external route you can always buy a case and drive separately to put together to save a few bucks.

axeman61

I saw something at Newegg: A 320 GB drive for around $140. Please tell me NewEgg has deals like that all the time, because my birthday actually isn't until November.
BTW, what's a PSU? How much do they cost?

PSU is a power supply. Cost depends on wattage, and quality. Check out: http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/

to see what your minimum recommended wattage is. It's a good idea to add about 50-100 extra watts (for future upgrades) to this figure. Then browse Newegg for PSU's in that watt range.

axeman61

Sorry to bring this up, but how do I use a an Everest scan of my computer stats at that CRUCIAL site? I have the info, but I don't see a page to plug it in. I can't find anything but CRUCIAL trying to install it's own scanner.

Crucial does run its own scripts, Everest gives you basic info, like OS, socket, CPU, RAM properties etc.
Crucials script just runs to tell you what type of RAM you need, and what they can sell you that works.

axeman61

Okay, you read my system info I trust. On newegg, there's a ram chip that matches my computer perfectly except for the part about DDR2 400 (speed). The one I'm looking at is DDR2 533, which is faster I think. Is it safe to have those 2 on the same comp? I mean, the 512 MB of RAM I have right now is split between 2 chips. This is 1 GB on one chip. It's only 84 bucks without tax and shipping and stuff, but it's a deal compared to Crucial, as one poster above implied it would be. It's 84.82. I plan on getting 2 and replacing the chips currently in my comp.

I'm also looking at a 320 gig hard drive with the same name brand as the one already in my drive (western digital) that costs 133.50. Altogether with next day shipping and without warranties, this will all cost 329.58. With warranties, it's 389.55. I'm thinking I'll go for it, warranties or not. If ANYBODY sees anything wrong with this, speak now, even though my birthday isn't until next month. When I plan money-spending like this, I stick to it. Can my computer handle this much... addition, without that new PSU you all were speaking of?

The hardrive won't be a problem.

The RAM, you are now running DDR2 400 right?
If you go to the 533 you should be allright, at worst it will run at 400, and you won't be hurt any.

axeman61

And the big HD won't cause any problems with speed accessing it as long as the RAM goes up too?

Would it be wise to hook up the 320 Gb drive as a slave to the 40 Gb drive I have right now? Can Windows handle that? It'll be an extra data drive as well as a backup, since it's 8x the size. I was also considering somehow moving all of my data to the 320 and keeping the 40 as a slave. All the important stuff on my drive can be backed up just fine on the 40; I'll mostly be looking at movies and listening to music on the 320.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.