Command + Conquer Generals

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

ben101

Hello

I have an Acer Travelmate 240: Windows XP, 512mb RAM, 2.6Ghz thing, Intel(R) 82852/82855 GM/GME Graphics controller and what seems like all that is neccessary to run command and conquer generals yet it runs very slowly.

I have been on the Intel website and looked up my particular graphics controller. There was a compatibility list with Generals marked as green (compatible with no problems) so why is it running so badly on my computer.

Hope someone can help, i've tried going to the OpenGL tab on Graphic properties and putting total memory footprint or something to high but it still goes slow. I've also downloaded driver updates for the graphics controller, i actually got more RAM (i had 256 and recently upgraded to 512mb) because i thought this could solve the issue but it didnt.

Any help and i will be grateful.

Cheers

Within C&C: Generals, lower the performance options to the lowest they can go.

The problem is that you're using onboard graphics - which in a laptop, is pretty much your only option. However, onboard graphics chips are not the greatest at playing games with lots of detailed 3D stuff going on in them, a dedicated video card performs these things much better. All you can really do about it is lower the graphics settings, and maybe physics settings too, if it has it. Good luck! :)

Laptops again aren't really made for gaming, They are basically made for the portableness and good power techniques so the battery last longer, no good for games, They will play them but not as good,

ben101

Ok. Thanks for the info. I have tried putting all the settings on low but it still goes slowly. Would there be a way of upgrading my graphics card or something to help the machine run games better or is this a problem with laptops? If so, which make ect. would you recommend?

Thanks again.

ben101

Sorry, i forgot to say, what do you mean by onboard graphics? You say theres no other choice with laptops, what would be the other choice with desktops?

Thanks

Onboard graphics is a graphics card that is integrated into the motherboard which shares normal system RAM. If you had a desktop you could buy a better graphics card and you'd be fine.

ben101

So basically, you cannot upgrade a laptops graphics card which basically means i can't play too new games because the requirements are too high.

Well thanks for all your help. Its greatly appreciated.

The biggest drawback about laptops is you can't upgrade the graphics card.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online