1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Command Line, "not recognized as an internal..."

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by calishopper, Sep 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. calishopper

calishopper Thread Starter

So I've been trying to get my command line going for the past two days and it won't go. Everytime I type any command I get "not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file". For example pwd or lf won't work but cd does.

Everything I've found on the internet hasn't helped. My path variables include C:\Windows\system32; C:\Windows\System32; C:\Windows\System32\Wbem at the beginning so there's nothing wrong there. I even deleted the path variable and made a new one with the same path.

I also used Putty and connected via an SSH server (Bitvise SSH) and when I connected command line still didn't work.

Help me please!!!

2. gurutech

gurutech

pwd and lf are *nix commands, which do not generally work on a Windows machine. To get to a command prompt from Windows, type "cmd", then hit enter and the command prompt will open up.

You will need to use "DOS" commands here, not "Linux" commands. For example, use "dir" instead of "ls" to list the files in a folder. "cd" is one command that can be used in both OS's to change directory.

3. calishopper

calishopper Thread Starter

Oh this makes so much more sense. Rookie mistake. Thank you so much! Are there emulators for Windows 7 that allow *nix commands?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1067835