1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

command line os to call up programs? i know its called porting.

Discussion in 'DOS/Other' started by am3av, Dec 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. am3av

am3av Thread Starter

I was thinking about how nice it would be to have a command line that I could call up graphical programs from, and work with them. Even heavy end graphic pograms like google earth or online mmo's/rendering programs. video suites, or high end audio suites with visual gui's. is there such an os already? i mean you can have windows and dual boot sure, but what for...it's boring to swap back and forth. so far I don't see enough similarities between unix and windows to suggest they are the same, except cygwin ports which I never got fully installed because of the extreme slow nature of their server and null idea of how to compile from source in windows. anyhow, maybe if I got rid of all the security risks like graphic designs, and wireless hardware I don't use, I might be able to take control of one of these machines i've purchased over the passed 5 years. no clue how to start, all my experience in computers is command line like bash, linux prompt, some windows cmd and i'm seeing apple and unix are very similar.

anyone have some ideas? i was thinking this is os x, bootcamp windows, provide the linux install and mount them while in apple so I could call up programs. but this still leaves me with a heavy graphic environment, it'd be nicer to have a command utility to call up programs because usually when i'm on the pc i just write, or listen to music and then occassionally use a graphical program (a heavy graphic program). TIA, RTFMing.

2. jiml8

jiml8 Guest

This is a very confused post. I'm not at all sure what it is you want to do. If you open a command window in Windows, you can use it to start any graphical program.

If you open a shell or are on a console in any *nix, you can use it to start graphical programs presuming you have X running and point the program at the display that has X.

Of course, if you have X running then you do have a graphical environment running. Is it that you want to start a graphical program without having a graphical environment running? That's a lot like expecting a fish to swim on dry land with no water around.

3. am3av

am3av Thread Starter

yeah i don't know why i forgot i would require x in linux and i think in os x as well. go figure, or dwm in windows I think it is. basically i just wanted a command line utility that could call up a program to run, without the gui. as long as i know what to enter to call the program up, i don't see the need for the gui. it's just a nuissance. most of the gui's that supply for the backend programs are hackable from what i understand. then i suppose looking at a blinking cursor doesn't secure anything either, but it does opt out possibilities. no, i think i got the idea from a movie, watching a hacker wiith a smoke and a soda, half drugged up and typing away with a million windows opening to his whim. i just thought it'd be nice to have a computer that left anyone unauthorized in the dark. no logos to run when booting, no scripts that are viewable without calling up the file, and a good alias syustem to mask the commands that are useable so the guessing game wouldn't apply. maybe i should learn to program. i've been grasping the basics though.

4. gwashington

gwashington

'command line prompt to execute a program'

5. am3av

am3av Thread Starter

yeah, does that imply cloud, vpn, or local area? i'm not fully understanding why you've put this in quotation marks.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/970294

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice