1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Command Line Problem

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by malcolmd3111, Sep 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. malcolmd3111

malcolmd3111 Thread Starter

Hi there,

I need to work with xcopy to resolve a crc error with an Outlook Express file. Unfortunately when I type the following:

cd Documents and Settings I receive the following response:

Too many parameters - Documents

I cannot copy the file in question in Windows so I am using the Dos commands.

Any ideas?

Any good freeware crc error fixer apps out there?

Thanks for any help and/or wisdom

Malcolm

2. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Put quotes around the path: "C:\Documents and Settings\".

3. malcolmd3111

Yes,

I had already been through all that. I've tried everything. I'm wondering if there are some other issues here. This DOS version will only show 8 chars of a path name. So more digging.....

4. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

"I cannot copy the file in question in Windows so I am using the Dos commands."

If there are problems with the file, copying it from a DOS prompt won't fix them.
    Also make sure you are using a CMD prompt and not COMMAND prompt.

Can you give more details?

5. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

What happens when you enter CD "C:\Documents and Settings\"?

6. malcolmd3111

Hi Bob,

First things first! You just made the point about CMD and COMMAND. I quickly checked and was using COMMAND. what is the diff. I can quickly see there is a difference, how to describe?

Using CMD is resolving my frustrations. BTW I am going down to the file in question, inbox_bk1.dbx to do a xcopy /c to try and recover a bad file (crc error)

7. malcolmd3111

Hi,

just read about the difference between COMMAND and CMD thanks.....

8. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Glad that suggestion solved your problem and thanks for posting back.

9. oshwyn5

oshwyn5

You can always use the 8.3 convention where
    C:\Documents and Settings\
    is C:\Docume~1
    it will show up as C:\Docume~1 not C:\Documents and Settings but it is the same place

10. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Just a bit more cumbersome remembering where that tilde goes.

11. managed

managed Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Allan
    Tilde needs to be the 7th character, it can save some typing if you use 8.3 :)

12. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Yeah that is the cumbersome part. I like to write batch files or use xcopy with the specific directory. Then you know exactly where they are going to be copied from and to.

13. malcolmd3111

Hi All,

thank you for all the suggestions. I have fixed the problem. Bob reminded me of the difference between COMMAND & CMD. The m/c I was fixing had "COMMAND" and I didn't even think it would be an old version of DOS.

Anyway for those with interest:

The original file that was bad was Inbox.dbx in Outlook. I rename it and then Ouitlook could work with a new Inbox. However I couldn't get to that dir, (hence the posting)

I tried xcopy /C to a different location. No luck. So I finally ran CHKDSK on a reboot and the utility found 2 bad files (fortunately) It fixed the CRC error so I was able to copy the .dbx file to a new location. I then ran an extraction program to get the email files.

I then copied all of these emails to a new Outlook Express folder called "Backup" and Success. I have one relieved client now, (my wife!!)

Thanks,

Malcolm

14. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

Just a note:

I "think" the CRC error has been made to go away, which is slightly different than fixing it.

The original error indicates file corruption and chkdsk really can't "correct" it, but it can make it go away.

I think you will find that somewhere in that "fixed" Inbox (and whatever the other fixed file was), you will find some type of corruption, in the form of scrambled characters/strange characters/etc.

15. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

You are welcome and glad you (and your wife) have had success.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/618235

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice