Command line to copy all MP3 fules

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Ortizja

Recently my computers harddrive suffered a logic error, dont know where, all my music files are still in tact i ran a check for this, i have music that was recorded by myself and a few friends on the laptop and it is important that i retrieve it and can copy it. Is it possible for me to use a seperate computer, attach the bad hard drive to it as an external source, and then somehow use a command line from an elevated command promt to maybe copy all mp3 files on my hard drive to the fully functional computer? If so what command line do i use? If no, what should i do in order to retrieve my mp3 files??? Keep in mind i dont know the specific file names, however they are all saved onto windows media player. I have no objection to having all mp3s relabled and disorganized if thats the only way, ill sort the music out later, pllease help me, thanks.

Triple6

Rob
Retired Moderator
You don't need to use command line for this, just use copy and paste.

Ortizja

You don't need to use command line for this, just use copy and paste.
Copy and paste from the busted hard drive onto the working one? Sorry if this sounds silly, but how does one accomplish this

valis

If you can access the drive for command line stuff, you can just access the data normally. Have you tried an external disk enclosure yet?

Ortizja

If you can access the drive for command line stuff, you can just access the data normally. Have you tried an external disk enclosure yet?
Sooo, copying all the data on the hardrive to an external drive or memory? I havent, please bear with me here, first time doing this. Anyways, what do i need to do that, and how do i do it? Again, first time doing anything like this, the help is much appreciated

valis

Im on a tablet, and cannot copy and paste links, but just google disk enclosure. You will need to take out the HD though. Is this a laptop or a desktop, ajnd whats the make/model?

Ortizja

Im on a tablet, and cannot copy and paste links, but just google disk enclosure. You will need to take out the HD though. Is this a laptop or a desktop, ajnd whats the make/model?
Laptop, it is an Alienware 14 with NVIDIa GeForce GT 750M with 1GB GDDRS and Intel Core i5-4200M Reg Model / : P39G

Triple6

Rob
Retired Moderator
What type of computer where you planning on connecting it too?

Ortizja

What type of computer where you planning on connecting it too?
Either a windows desktop at my school, unsure of the make and model, or an acer chromebook laptop, tech guy at my college is absolutely swamped but gave me access to all of his hardware and additional drives, cords and adapters, etc. I just cant delete anything from his network or systems without him reviewing it, and also will be limited as far as admin priveleges at times, for example if he cant sign me in, or has to leave the campus for any reason

Triple6

Rob
Retired Moderator
If you have a desktop and are able to open it up then you can directly connect the drive to desktop using the data and power cables from the CD\DVD drive; the drives use the same cable connections.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online