1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Command Prompt closes the moment I open it

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by sverris, Dec 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sverris

sverris Thread Starter

Hi

I hope you are as good as they say, because here I have a problem for you ;)

I have a server at my home network, running windows XP Pro SP2, and it is configured with 2 users. One Administrator and one user. When I connect using remote desktop, I usually connect as the user (Not Administrator), but lately the command prompt has stopped working on this account. When I type cmd in the run-window, command prompt opens, and about 1/2 sec later, it's closed. If I connect as the Administrator, this problems doesn't exist.

I have scanned for viruses, using both my installed Norton Internet Security package, and also using Symantec's online virus-scan. No virus found...

Anyone have any Idea what could be wrong/what I can do to make it work? I really need cmd...

2. wr4698er73678

wr4698er73678 Banned

Try typing "command" instead ;)

3. sverris

sverris Thread Starter

Nope... Still same problem

4. wr4698er73678

wr4698er73678 Banned

Type: "cmd /k netstat" (no quotes) in Start > Run

5. sverris

sverris Thread Starter

Sorry.... Can't see the result. As told, the problem is that the command window closes at once. No matter how I open it, or what command I run

6. wr4698er73678

wr4698er73678 Banned

7. sverris

sverris Thread Starter

Done... Still same problem...

8. kibje

kibje

EDIT: I posted a stupid question here. I should learn to read someone's question better before I ask anything in return.

9. Blackmirror

Blackmirror

Have you checked in task manager to see whether cmd.exe is running

if it is and it will be under your user name try this

create a shortct to %systemroot%\system32\cmd.exe on the desktop .(.Right click new shortcut )
    and tweak the position of the window in the properties.

it could be it is off screen make sure that normal window is checked

10. sverris

sverris Thread Starter

Nice! :)

You are right. cmd is still running, but only using about 100k memory. (It's about 2000k when running normally).

I created the shortcut, and it worked. Running that "solves" the problem, but I still would like to solve it completely. What are causing the problem, and how do I make the "win-button+R -> type cmd -> enter" method work?

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/526676