1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Command Prompt "not right"!

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by janlafata, Feb 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. janlafata

janlafata Thread Starter

I say "not right" because I went to run SFC today and it immediately said "SFC/scannow is not a recognized command etc" That's also when I noticed that the first line of the command prompt reads C:\Users\Username and I don't think that's what it's supposed to read. But anyway I cannot do a System File Check and yes I did log in as administrator

2. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

You need a space between the command and the switch:
    SFC /SCANNOW.

And you are right, the Prompt should read C:\Windows\System32 in an Admin Command Prompt.
    Type cmd in the search box, then right click cmd.exe when it appears in the list, and choose Run as Administrator

Jerry

3. janlafata

janlafata Thread Starter

Yeah I did know about the space thing, I just miss-typed it. But how do I get my command prompt to display with: C:\Windows\System32? I tried just entering it in, next to what's on there now, but it wouldn't take. Got that "Is not recognized as an internal or external command" message.

4. janlafata

janlafata Thread Starter

Right after I wrote you the latest reply I started poking around, specifically in C:\Windows\System32. For kicks I clicked on "cmd" inside that folder and amazingly it opened with "C:\Windows\System32" so I immediately started an SFC and it's running now. So problem solved .But why the "cmd" on my Start Menu shortcut opened with C:\Users\Username is still a mystery.

5. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

OK, now you've got me curious, so did some testing:

It all depends on which account you are log in on, and exactly how you open the Command Prompt.

Two "locations" to start from:

1. Use the shortcut at All Programs | Accessories | Command Prompt.
      (Used often enough, Command Prompt will appear in the Recent Programs list on the left side, results are the same)
    2. Type cmd into Search box. Click cmd.exe when it appears
    Two "methods" to start with:

1. A Normal Command Prompt opens by a single left click
    2. An Admin Command Prompt opens by a right click, then click Run As Administrator
    When logged in on the real Administrator account:

1. Opens with the prompt C:\Users\Administrator for both Normal and Admin prompts.
      The title of both prompts is Administrator: Command Prompt
      SFC will run from either
    2. Normal opens with the prompt C:\Users\Administrator
      Admin opens with the prompt C:\Windows\System32
      The title of both prompts is Administrator: C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe
      SFC will run from either
    When logged in from any other account, Regular User or Computer Administrator:

1. Normal opens with the prompt C:\Users\Username
      The title of the Normal prompt is Command Prompt
      The title of the Admin prompt is Administrator: Command Prompt
      SFC will run from Admin prompt only
    2. Normal opens with the prompt C:\Users\Username
      The title of the Normal prompt is C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe
      The title of the Admin prompt is Administrator: C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe
      SFC will run from Admin prompt only
    If UAC is on, an Admin prompt will prompt you for permission, and a Username/password if in a Regular account.

So the key to telling if you are actually in an Administrative Command Prompt is it must show Administrator: in the title.
    The actual prompt doesn't matter. If it is showing C:\Users\Username, you can always change it to C:\Windows\System32 by typing cd \windows\system32
    If you really want to mess with your users, you can set the prompt to show You really shouldn't be here. You might break something $$$:D

HTH

Jerry

6. StevenDorsey

StevenDorsey

Im dealing with major personal issues which are a story for another day, but ive encountered the notion that, when using command prompt, if you do not cd your way to the system32 directory, then it will not find the dlls and executables contained therein. Just typing cmd into startmenu might give you a cmd shortcut that starts up outside of system32.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/799304

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice