Command Prompt Problem

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

treoctone

I am currently unable to acces the help list, net, and ipconfig in my command prompt:mad:. However, I can look at the directories and move to different files. The last time I was able to do it was a little over a week ago before I downloaded the Java jdr application from sun microsystems. I removed those programs and even tried to do it in safe mode but with no solution. I didn't think that the jdr application was the problem, but it was worth a shot. Please help me to resolve this problem or have heard of this happening. Thanks

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Try a system restore to before the problems started.

does System File Checker work?
try doing this

Code:
sfc /scannow
if it asks for a disk, please put it in :)

it should write new files to your windows directory if it finds missing/corrupt/invalid windows files. (y)

WhitPhil

Gone but never forgotten
Trusted Advisor
"I am currently unable to acces the help list, net, and ipconfig in my command prompt"

Can you explain what that means?

And, more specifically, when you enter one of these commands, what "happens"?

WhitPhil said:
"I am currently unable to acces the help list, net, and ipconfig in my command prompt"

Can you explain what that means?

And, more specifically, when you enter one of these commands, what "happens"?
entering the help command in the command shell in xp will give you a list of all commands you can run from the command shell

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Program Files\Windows Resource Kits\Tools>help
For more information on a specific command, type HELP command-name
ASSOC Displays or modifies file extension associations.
AT Schedules commands and programs to run on a computer.
ATTRIB Displays or changes file attributes.
BREAK Sets or clears extended CTRL+C checking.
CACLS Displays or modifies access control lists (ACLs) of files.
CALL Calls one batch program from another.
CD Displays the name of or changes the current directory.
CHCP Displays or sets the active code page number.
CHDIR Displays the name of or changes the current directory.
CHKDSK Checks a disk and displays a status report.
etc...

Net command will give you this:

C:\Program Files\Windows Resource Kits\Tools>net The syntax of this command is: NET [ ACCOUNTS | COMPUTER | CONFIG | CONTINUE | FILE | GROUP | HELP | HELPMSG | LOCALGROUP | NAME | PAUSE | PRINT | SEND | SESSION | SHARE | START | STATISTICS | STOP | TIME | USE | USER | VIEW ] C:\Program Files\Windows Resource Kits\Tools>help

And IPCONFIG will give you this:

C:\Program Files\Windows Resource Kits\Tools>ipconfig

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : columbus.rr.com
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.101
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

I think WhitPhil is asking treoctone what response he's getting now that indicates the problem, Striker.

The Hound said:
I think WhitPhil is asking treoctone what response he's getting now that indicates the problem, Striker.

DOH!!!!!!!!!!!
Thats what I get for trying to think after being out in the sun for a while then taking my meds LOL

Guess if I looked at his post count I would have known that huh

So it goes...I'd wonder if msconfig or regedit work from the command prompt...???

Again (as WhitPhil was asking)--when you type msconfig and click ok, what happens--

The Hound said:
Again (as WhitPhil was asking)--when you type msconfig and click ok, what happens--
ok I am done in this thread, I am having some serious reading comprehension issues tonight.:eek:

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online