Command Prompt with Admin

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

nedrod

I am trying to use cmd with admin privileges, but when I right click either the start flag or cmd prompt, I receive an error -

Windows\WinX\Group3\01-command prompt.lnk -

This file does not have an app associated with it for performing this action. Please install an app or, if one is already installed, create an association in the Default Apps Settings page.

Would anyone know why I can't call it up? I'd appreciate any help.
Thanks

managed

Allan
Type CMD into the search/cortana area then right-click on Command Prompt at the top and click on Run as administrator.

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Windows\WinX\Group3\01-command prompt.lnk
This has all the indications of a registry problem
Have you any third party maintenance tools such as registry cleaners, make it go faster apps etc installed

To check if that is the problem, eg the registry, even if not caused by some third party app, right click on any app and if the - run as admin- appears click it and see if you get the same result

Also please confirm OS

nedrod

I have Win 10 Home ver. 1803 build 17134.472. I don't use registry cleaners. I tried right clicking several apps but the 'run as admin' was never an option.

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
open control panel
right click device manager
is run as admin there
if so click it

nedrod

Device manager opened with admin privileges. Do I have to do something different for Home edition to bring up cmd with privilege?

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
from the Microsoft white (flag)
right click the cmd prompt and click properties
then click open file location
does that then open the window for explorer showing the cmd application file in C:\Windows\System32

nedrod

I had to pin cmd to the start; right click; then, more; and points to System. However, when I check properties on icon in System, file is actually in System32.

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
your second reply to the query
does that then open the window for explorer showing the cmd application file in C:\Windows\System32
makes it difficult to understand
Your first reply says
"yes, it does"

All I want to know is does file explorer window open on system 32 showing the cmd file as per this screenshot
Untitled1.png
That is windows7 but the principle is the same .
If it does right click that application - cmd
and if run as admin appears click it
what happens please

nedrod

Sorry, the first portion of the answer was lost in transmission. Here is a screen shot of the file location. upload_2018-12-22_14-44-32.png

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Right click the cmd prompt app in your screenshot above
does it then offer open file location
does that then show as in my screenshot
in the system32 folder
If so right click THAT cmd and then click run as admin
it is important to note that in your screenshot above it is shown as command prompt
whereas in the system32 folder it will be shown only as cmd

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online