1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Comments about upgrade from 98SE to Win2K Please

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by DiggerBoy, Feb 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DiggerBoy

DiggerBoy Thread Starter

Greetings all.

I usually hang out in the other OS forum that applies to my current OS of win98se. However, since I upgraded all of my hardware about six months ago, I neglected to do a reinstallation of win98se and have been becoming more frustrated with the instability.

So now, I am faced with a choice of:
    1) reinstall Win98SE and other software and subsequently experience the eons of time to download the upgrades and patches

2) install Win 2000 Pro (provided from a friend who has upgraded to XP) and and subsequently experience the eons of time to download the upgrades and patches

I'm kind of leaning towards Win 2K because of the matured handing of USB, but other than that, what does it have over Win 98SE?

I'm open to any information or opinion you may have--serious or cynical (afterall, we're all geeks here, aren't we?
    ;) ).

Thanks in advance!

2. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

Do you use any DOS based games or programs on a regular basis? If so, you may have problems with Win2k. The NT system doesn't allow programs to access certain resources like Win98 does.

3. DiggerBoy

DiggerBoy Thread Starter

Good point.

I'll check into my DOS-based programs.

Anything else to consider?

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I'd partition a 2gig partition for C:, and install W98 on it. Then, I'd make a larger partition, I like at least 8gigs, and install W2K on it, and you'll automatically get a dual boot installation. That way, if you run across a DOS application that doesn't like W2K, you'll have a way to run it until you upgrade the app.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!