Comments on buying a new Gaming PC

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Nutech12

Hi,

I want to buy a new Desktop PC, what type of system would be a good one?

I play Call Of Duty, World Of Warcraft, and League of League of Legends, occasionally Fortnite.

My budget is about C$2,000

Would this be effective enough? It has a AMD Ryzen 7 CPU:

Processor
AMD Ryzen™ 7 3700X (8-Core, 32MB L3 Cache, Max Boost Clock of 4.4GHz)
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64-bit English
Video Card
NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 3080 10GB GDDR6X
Hard Drive
512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD
Memoryi
16GB Dual Channel HyperX™ FURY DDR4 XMP at 3200MHz; up to 64GB (additional memory sold separately)
Wireless
Dell Wireless DW1810 (1x1) 802.11ac with Wi-Fi, Wireless LAN, Bluetooth 5.0
Case Color
Dark Side of the Moon chassis with Low-Profile Smart Cooling CPU Heatsink and 1000W Power Supply

Last edited:

crjdriver

You have not included what exact motherboard, what exact pw supply. In addition, nvidia does not generally sell video cards; they mfg the chipset used on the card. Just like most things, you can get a "budget" nvidia card OR you can get one from a quality mfg. Quality mfg of nvidia cards, EVGA, Asus, or Gigabyte.

Last edited:

crjdriver

Alienware is ok however do understand that like any dell, it is proprietary. IF this were me, I would put alienware as a third choice;
1st choice, build my own system
2nd choice have a real shop do a build for me
3rd choice; an alienware system

Nutech12

Alienware is ok however do understand that like any dell, it is proprietary. IF this were me, I would put alienware as a third choice;
1st choice, build my own system
2nd choice have a real shop do a build for me
3rd choice; an alienware system
What components, I would ask a 'real shop' use? I tried to use PC Part Picker to select components and ended up getting confused, basically due to my lack of 'know-how'.. I guess thats why the Dell HP Lenovo etc make their $$ from ppl like myself. Folks such as yourself know what / what not to assemble are the ones that are ahead.

Nutech12

BTW, I am looking into this for my son. Who thinks there isn't any difference between a cheaper motherboard and an expensive one! I am just trying to make sure he gets the best components in a system. This DELL system is C$25000 w/ taxes in.

Thank you.

crjdriver

A gaming system starts with a quality pw supply ie seasonic, high end corsair, etc. Then a high end motherboard. The difference between a high end board and a cheap/mid-range board is a high end board has heavy duty capacitors, heavy duty pw regulation, extra chipset cooling, steel pci-e slot for the video card, etc. A low end board does not have any of these items. Usually a high end board has premium sound as well. Next item would be a case with good airflow and or mounting for liquid cooling.

In short there is a LOT more to a gaming system than installing a video card.

As I said, dell/alienware are decent however they do cost quite a bit. I am going to look on newegg and see what the parts for a decent gaming system will run.

You have not included what exact motherboard, what exact pw supply. In addition, nvidia does not generally sell video cards; they mfg the chipset used on the card. Just like most things, you can get a "budget" nvidia card OR you can get one from a quality mfg. Quality mfg of nvidia cards, EVGA, Asus, or Gigabyte.

Add MSI thanks.

crjdriver

Those parts look OK. Do you really need a 2TB M.2 drive? If so, fine however you can probably get by with a 500gig or 1TB drive and save some money.
Why are you purchasing a network card? Your motherboard comes with an intel lan port.

The only other thing I could suggest would be to go with a seasonic 800W or so. The minimum requirement for your video card is 750W. Just a personal opinion however I hate going with min spec on anything. Here is the spec sheet for the 3080;
GeForce RTX 3080 Graphics Card | NVIDIA

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts