1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Commercial DVD Freezes Computer

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by RPT, Jan 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. RPT

RPT Thread Starter

I wonder if anyone can help with a very annoying problem I am experiencing. Whenever I try to play a commercial DVD in my computer, my computer freezes. I notice that when I try to access the disk through “My Computer”, or even run “My Computer”, the computer freezes then too. I can’t even get out of ‘My Computer” through the Task Manager … I end up having to reboot. When I start the computer in Safe Mode, I don’t have that problem … I can access the commercial DVD easily. Recently, I ran into the same problem with an installation disk.

I am running XP Pro on an AMD Athlon 64-bit 3000+ processor. My video card is a Radeon X300 Series.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!!

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Do you have any anti-virus software running that is set to scan all optical discs when they are inserted?

Do you have Autoplay enabled for the DVD drive? If so what are its action settings for when a DVD is detected?

3. RPT

RPT Thread Starter

My anti-virus software doesn't scan optical disks. Stupid question - how do I check my Autoplay settings?
    Thanks!

4. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Not a stupid question. Can you open up "My Computer" OK without a disc in the drive? If so ....

Not sure if 64 Bit XP Pro is any different but on my XP home system .... Open "My Computer". Right click on the drive and choose "Properties" to open up a Properties settings box. There should be an "AutoPlay" tab with two radio buttons. One lets you choose what action to take, including "None". The other button prompts you what to do for each insertion.

There is also a Windows "TweakUI" powertool utility that includes a "My Computer" -> "AutoPlay" -> "Types" setting that lets you disable autoplay for all CDs and DVDs.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!