Commercial solar camera/wifi project

TechGuy

Mike
Administrator
I thought some of you might appreciate this project. I built this system last week. It has a solar panel, Ubiquiti SolarPoint charge controller with POE switch, Ubiquiti NanoStation connecting back to the building, and a PTZ camera. I'm planning to put more cameras on it in the future. I'm eager to monitor the charge rate and battery levels to see how well I sized the panel and batteries. This is mounted to a privately owned pole that has no wires on it. The wires you see are just passing nearby. 😉

Attachments

RT

That is rather cool Mike (y)

I am wondering about those passer-by wires though, for some seem like standard electric transmission lines we all have nearby (and depend on)
Are you saying than any EM residue from high voltage proximity will not affect your solar project?
I mean..really, I don't know, just asking, because I have encountered unexpected interference/signal loss in electronics from improper (or worn) shielding in the wires affecting sensitive instruments that perplexed the techs ;)

TechGuy

Mike
Administrator
Good question, RT. The cables that are relatively close are cable TV and telephone, so unlikely to have too much RF noise at that distance. They're also in the opposite direction than the wireless antenna is pointed. We've been up and running for a couple of weeks now and haven't lost the connection yet. If we were trying to point the wireless through the wires, we might get a different result!

Reactions: RT

RT

Thank you Mike replying with "That's a good question"
because you could have easily said "There's no such thing as a stupid question, but..."
;)

HOBOcs

Jim
My Latest Project - Thought I'd share.

I found a good looking camera for remote security access – where no power usable power source (for power or internet) exists and using cellular Sim card (3G/4G LTE access).
Called - REOlink GO PT (Pan and Tilt) - Link

Amazon

Issue: Parents cottage - they turn the power off in the off season and when not in use over the summer.
Purpose - to view the lake and cottage primarily when no ones there and to monitor the Ice on the lake and snow load on the cottage during the winter.

I tested this at my home and it works well and this summer installed it at their cottage. I've had no issues with lack of power - Solar panel keeps it charged.
Has some nice features - 360 pan and tilt, it has a scheduler for Alerts (text and Email), sound (I can hear and TALK back. I can share access with siblings as well.

Biggest Plus is it runs on a Sim card. (Costs $10 a month for Sim Card and I have unlimited data that I can piggy back its data on my cell phone.
At them moment its screwed into dock - a 10ft 3/4 galvanized pipe with an 18" extension to house the cam and solar panel - for easy removal and maintenance.
I got the camera on Amazon under $375 for the unit including the Solar panel. Not sure if they have any left.

So far I'm very pleased. (I want another one)

COTTAGE-CAM_live_setup2.jpg
COTTAGE-CAM_live_setup800.jpg
COTTAGE-CAM_dockview800.jpg
COTTAGE-CAM_Cottage800.jpg

Last edited:

TechGuy

Mike
Administrator
Looks great! $10 for unlimited data seems like quite the bargain, too.

HOBOcs

Jim
Its $10 for the Sim card a month (the charge - like for a tablet) and I share the data on my cell phone account which has unlimited.
I don't stream (maybe some day) or record (except for the cam shots for alerts) so data usage is really low so far. I'm keeping track but its low.

Waiting to see how it performs in the cold.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online