1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

communication between one pc and one laptop

Discussion in 'Networking' started by theo, Sep 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theo

theo Thread Starter

How can i make one desktop pc and one laptop to communicate each other?
    The desktop has 2000Pro and is connecting to the Internet.The laptop(DEll Latitude cpx) has 2000 XP and is the one that i want to connect.The laptop has the Dell fast ethernet ( 10/100 ) base -tx pc card, and the desktop has the respective card as well. Could you please tell me what else i had to do.
    Thank you!

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Do you also wish to share a highspeed Internet Connection? Also is your current internet connection using the Ethernet connection? These will determine the best solution for your problem.

If the above items are not true in your case, then all you need to do is buy one ethernet crossover cable and setup a few settings on both machines, such as Workgoup, file sharing, IP addresses. If you want both to be on the internet at the same, and you have a Ethernet Broadband modem, then you should invest in a Router to create the network.

3. theo

theo Thread Starter

.......................................................................................................
    Thanks for your quick reply!!
    I bought the ethernet crossover cable as you recommended,and i am ready now to follow instructions about the '' few settings on both machines '' as you mentioned.
    Thanks a lot!!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/276988

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice