Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Community-wide wifi

967 views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  zx10guy 
#1 ·
I am planning a community-wide wifi system that will allow residents to have access to a server at the community centre via their portable wifi devices. the radius of the community is about 1-2km. which device will be ideal for this deployment and what should be the best design

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
First, repeaters/extenders/boosters are the absolute worst things you can use in any wireless network. Period.

Without knowing more information, this is a major undertaking. There are tons of design decisions which need to be made. First and foremost is what is the budget we're talking about here? What's the geography of the location? Is there line of sight between where major clusters of devices are expected? Is there an ability or intention on running Category cabling to locations where the access points are going to be installed?

#8 ·
No one is going to be able to give you a design that will work with just vague answers. There are tons of considerations which I've already mentioned. Since this is outdoors, a topography map needs to be provided to show if there are any obstructions and any elevation considerations. In addition, the design will also be dependent on where the concentration of devices will be. Budget is an important factor that will dictate the design whether you like or not.

You'll be using outdoor APs in general which provide ruggedization along with the ability to have more RF output power than indoor APs. The best way in general to set this up is to have an AP with omnidirectional antennas hard wired back to the main network. Whether a controller is involved or the use of a virtual controller will depend on having deeper discussions. And depending on the distances we're talking about will also dictate whether there needs to be an intermediary jump point to keep within the 100 meter max distance spec for Ethernet along with accounting for potential power losses from PoE being run at that distance.

This project isn't something that is something that would be done by asking on an Internet help forum. You'll need to hire a consultant to dig into this.

#9 ·
Thank you for this initial information. I am looking for general ideas for now and I believe the informations you have provided will be very helpful. We are at the feasibility studies stage now that is why I can't give a solid information, we are yet to visit the village so the information you have provided will help me to know what to check when we visit the ground. I will update this thread after I gather more information. I am very grateful for your quick response.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.