1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Comodo Antivirus

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by JimmyDickHill, Sep 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JimmyDickHill

JimmyDickHill Thread Starter

I have installed Comodo Antivirus and instead of the antivirus telling me it's fine it says file system filter driver is not loaded! Run Diagnostics. What do I do?

2. arochester

arochester

3. Miqw7394

Miqw7394

First Name:
    Mike
    As stated by arochester, above, you don't really need AV in Linux; a good firewall is all that's required.

However, if you regularly communicate with others who run Windows, it's possible to be a 'carrier' for Windows malware (which won't affect your own system, but can be passed on to others whom it may affect). I do this myself quite often.

Comodo's AV, like most Linux AVs, scans for the presence of Windows malware for this very reason. I use it myself, on occasion.

If you get past the bit about 'cmdagent not being started', you're laughing. Very few people manage to get the green tick mark showing in Comodo's AV for Linux. The recommended way to get rid of the warning about the 'filesystem filter driver' is to go through a process which will supposedly compile a 'kernel object' (.ko) module for the kernel. 999 times out of 1000 this module simply will not compile, for whatever reason.

The AV will, however, function fine in this condition.....which is how I use it myself, for occasional, 'one-off' scans.

I'd ignore the warning. Most folks I know who use it do. It doesn't prevent it from working, and it scans just fine.

Mike. ;)

4. tecknurd

tecknurd

The reason why a module cannot be compiled is the kernel version that it is written for is not compatible with the kernel version that you are using. Upgrading the kernel is not necessary until one or two relates to you. One if something that you are using and causing some of your problems is fixed. The other is something that you are using and they have fixed the security issue.

This doesn't help the OP, I have run Linux for several years on a daily basis as a desktop OS. I didn't need an antivirus software. I did look into it. They require money and majority of the antivirus services out there are for corporate use. I suggest upgrading programs that are related to networking and keep a common sense of what you are doing.

Most likely that will and does happen from time to time is your web browser being hijacked. Again upgrade network programs and this includes web browsers.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1216745

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice