1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Comp can't find ip address EXCEPT for in safe mode

Discussion in 'Networking' started by kashnowe2233, Sep 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kashnowe2233

kashnowe2233 Thread Starter

i am using a system with windows xp. i have the computer plugged into the wireless adapter. usually my LAN icon and my Wireless icon show that I am connected. A few days ago my LAN icon shows the yellow triangle for limited or no connectivity. However the wireless was still connected and I was confused b/c both are using the same connection. So I thought maybe the modem was bad so i went o comcast and got a new modem. Now with the new modem both the LAN and Wirless won't connect. I hardwired the computer to the modem with no router and still no connection.

comcast says they have an ip address showing for my modem and all signals are strong. so they said something is wrong with my computer. the only recent downloads i did wwas winzip and yahoo messenger. i ran hijackthis, malwarebytes, superantispyware and they found nothing (b/c i scan regularly)

i did ipconfig and my ip addres is showing 0.0.0.0 i did ipconfig /renew and nothing happens.

soooooo i decided to restart in safe mode with networking and now here i am with both wireless and LAN connected.

someone help me please!!! what is going on here?

also the reason i downloaded winzip recently is because my send to folder was empty. i found trouble shooting for it and typed in the command to add it back but nothing happened.
    also all of a sudden when i click on my computer the flashlight icon searches for about 10 minutes before it displays my computer.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Do a system restore to before all the problems and see if that helps.

3. kashnowe2233

kashnowe2233 Thread Starter

ah yes i did a sytem restore too i forgot to add that. but i did one again just for kicks and it made it worse i guess. b/c then i couldn't connect in safe mode at all. BUT after the restore my ethernet and my wireless LAN icons said tthat i was connected but i tried to open google and it said i was not connected. grr. so i undid the restore and here i am again in safe mode with networking and in normal mode it still says i'm connected but i can't actually connect. crazy...

also i forgot to add that last month i started a class that uses myitlab which meant i needed to uninstall my comodo firewall. that was the most difficult uninstall i have ever done...after that when i start the comp i get a black screen promting me to choose safe mode, safe mode with networking, or safe mode with command prompt...it reads something like "We appologize for the inconvenience but windows did not start successfully. this may be due to a recent hardware or software change...blahblah blah. "

but after that uninstall for the last month everything has been fine. i even got a new modem today...right now i am hardwired with the router completely disconnected.

and i don't have my windows xp cd. its lsot somewhere not in my moms house. t his is a 10 year old pc and this is my first unsolvable problem.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Let's try the usual first step in Normal Mode.

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP2/SP3.

Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt:

In the command prompt window that opens, type type the following commands, each followed by the Enter key:

Note: Type only the text in bold for the following commands.

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults, type: netsh int ip reset reset.log

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults, type: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reboot the machine.

If that doesn't change it, use MSCONFIG and disable groups of startup processes and applications and reboot and test. You can usually narrow down what is causing the issue that way.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/952770

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice