1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

comp crashing due to video problem?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by visaggio, Jul 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. visaggio

visaggio Thread Starter

First i'd like to say that, although this is my first post, i've gotten an enormous amount of help from reading the posts. Any time i have a question about my computer, i come here first.

Second, about the only thing i use my computer for is computer games. I don't do programming, music, pictures, anything like that, just games. I'm using a pentium 4, with a Radeon VE.

This is the end stage of a long running problem (it's a long story that i'll do my best to shorten)

When i try to install some programs the computer will freeze. I've tried cd-rom, floppy, downloads. Sometimes it will just freeze, give me a black screen and freeze, or give me a wierd screen and freeze . (wierd being scewed colors, lines, fuzz, etc)

I've just bought new HD and installed win 98, so i think i can discount any virus or unknown program. Haven't connected to internet, only loaded programs from cd-rom. I've narrowed it down to the video card. I've got integrated video on the motherboard, if i remove the radion card and plug monitor into that i can install just fine.

I'm guessing i need to adjust something within the radeon's settings, but i'm at a loss. ATI support hasn't been able to help me.

Also, it's not the monitor, i've changed monitors with no appreciable difference. I'm sure you'll need additional information, ill respond as quickly as i can.

2. Aaron.W

Aaron.W

Looks like a RAM or addressing problem, so maybe the hardware is set up incorrectly.

Take a look in your BIOS setup and see if you can find any video card settings you can fiddle with.

Here's a few recommendations: http://mirror.ati.com/support/faq/cmosagp.html

Every time you change a setting run the worst offender among those programs to test your progress.

Also, since you're running Win98 on a newer motherboard, the following probably applies: http://mirror.ati.com/support/faq/agpchipsetdrivers.html

By the way, you did disable the onboard video adapter in the BIOS, didn't you? ;]

3. visaggio

visaggio Thread Starter

Actually, i've been disabling it in the device manager, looking for it in BIOS didn't occur to me.

Unfortunately i'm at work right now, i'll play with these cmos settings when i get home and post back tomorrow. (y)

4. visaggio

visaggio Thread Starter

The only setting applicable to my CMOS was the AGP aperture size which i changed from 256 to 64mb with no appreciable affect.

Looking in CMOS to disable the onboard video, the only other option was agp video slot. However, my card is pci, should i still set it to agp or leave as is?

5. Aaron.W

Aaron.W

Using a PCI card in an AGP system with onboard video does complicate things a bit. ;]

The AGP aperature doesn't apply at all, so you might as well leave it on AUTO.

Since I don't know what you're looking at or what settings are available I shouldn't try to make guesses. Post a list of the settings and the available options for each one, if you have the time.

I think you'll find that getting an AGP card is a lot easier. :D

6. visaggio

visaggio Thread Starter

Actually, i'm starting to lean towards a new video card, and perhaps win98se. However, arn't there two versions of 98se?

I've read something about a version that ships with new computers being different than the one off the shelf. (shrug)
    However, i shall make a list of the settings and options available, just in case...

Which do you think would be more helpfull; a new card, or 98se?

7. Aaron.W

Aaron.W

Tough call. I'd say get both but if you're short of funds the video card should come first. ;]

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/149843

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice