1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Comp crashing! -Please Help!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jerignited, Sep 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jerignited

jerignited Thread Starter

Not sure where to post this but after playing World of Warcraft or too much multimedia playing, comp would crash. It would just freeze up.

It all started when I fooled around with Regedit and played around with the memory management and page pool size settings etc. I've set it back to what it was before but that didnt seem to have done anything.

Im thinking it had something to do with that or perhaps memory if not overheating.

How can I pinpoint my problem more?

Any scanners I can download etc?

2. Deathblow

Deathblow

Maybe grab a temperature monitor?

3. redoak

redoak Gone but never forgotten

4. jonmaxx

jonmaxx

Please do not edit anything in the registry, especially since the computer appeared to be fine before it started crashing. When it crashes, does it blue screen or shut off completely (black screen and powers down)?
    When a system starts to crash for no reason, it can usually mean the system is overheating. I would recommend what redoak already said, download speedfan. Additionally, download Prime95 from here: http://files.extremeoverclocking.com/file.php?f=103

What you will do is run Prime95, choose the "Torture Test" option and then select the middle option in the new window that comes up. Start the test and sit back and do something else. You can leave speedfan up so you can monitor the system's heat while the torture test is in effect. If you ever need to stop the test while running it, you can choose "Stop" which is under the "File" Menu of the program.

I would recommend that you leave the torture test on for about 4-5 hours at least. If the computer crashes or shuts off at any point during the test, you can be assured that it is a heat issue. Then you can buy a can of compressed air and blow through the vents to get rid of any dust that may have collected in the system.

If that doesn't work, let us know. Then you will most likely need to run a Memtest.

5. jerignited

Thanks guys, I will try speedfan and then torture test tonight.
    PS.
    What should my CPU and AUX temp. be at in terms of normal/average?
    Example: CPU is around 89-93C and AUX is around 85-86C

Also...
    V24OptionsConverted=1
    SendAllFactorData=1
    StressTester=1
    UsePrimenet=0
    MinTortureFFT=128
    MaxTortureFFT=1024
    TortureMem=8
    TortureTime=15

[PrimeNet]
    Debug=1

Comp ended up crashing. Is it safe to say that it is a overheating issue?
    The speedfan's temp rating stayed around the same as I wrote above.
    I'd like to do a memtest. Can you give me a step by step way to do it? I tried to do it before but got lost..

6. jonmaxx

jonmaxx

Forgot to mention that.... it should be below 60 C

7. jonmaxx

jonmaxx

Just to clarify -- your computer failed the torture test? That is to say, it crashed during the torture test?

8. jonmaxx

jonmaxx

Your CPU is awfully hot!! 93 C = 199.4 F!! It's almost 200 degrees! I'm willing to bet that's the reason why your computer is crashing. Before we continue with Memtest -- go and purchase a can of compressed air and spray it in short bursts throughout the vent. If you know someone who has an air compressor (the actual machine), that actually works better. Canned air is good in lieu of that.
    In any case, make sure you spray good! Then run the torture test and see if it takes longer to crash or if it even crashes at all.

9. jerignited

It crashed during the Stress Test. I dont think it failed. Didnt tell me anything about failing.
    Ok so perhaps it IS the overheating? Im going over my friend's place now to grab his compressed air.. ill let you guys know.
    PS.
    I ran a memtest and got up to 40% and still no errors or crashed and since it was the only thing running, I dont think its the memory at all.

Ill get back with the results after the air can.. haha

10. jonmaxx

jonmaxx

Hehe... What I meant was that it DID crash during the torture test, so that means it failed (as opposed to Passing). Sorry, I work at a tech shop and I'm just used to throwing this terminology around, I thought you would understand.

So I have a VERY strong suspicion it is the overheating. If you have a laptop, I would also recommend "Notebook Coolers" -- you can find them at Staples or Best Buy. It will blow cool air up into your laptop and keep everything ventilated.

Just one more warning -- if the system is overheating like that -- check for spinning fans. Perhaps one of them stopped spinning?

11. jerignited

Its a desktop.
    After airing things out, temperature has gone done a lot. Maybe its also because I left computer off for an hour?
    Looks like the AUX is the 1 heating up the most.. what is that?
    Sorry im a newb when it comes to this stuff.

PS.
    AUX and CPU are the 1s that seems to be overheating. All fans are spinning. Whats causing it to overheat?
    I have a mini fan to the side of my comp blowing towards the motherboard.. it seems to be keeping it under hot temps...
    Any tips?

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/746807

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice