1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Comp died replacing heatsink...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by viceless, Jul 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. viceless

viceless Thread Starter

OK, so i bot a heatsink off of ebay for my brothers computer ( this is an e-Machines t2460 with a GeForce 5200 Ultra and an SB! Live soundcard, as far as i know the computer has an FIC AM37 motherboard and a AMD 2400+ Athlon XP processor, and it has 768MBs of RAM) and when i put it on (after having a hard time clamping the heatsink down and moving around some capacitors and hit the motherboard with the screw driver a few times, checked to make sure there were no scratches or scuffs on the motherboard and found none), computer wouldnt send a signal to the monitor, and beeped for 3 seconds. replaced vid card, worked for about 10 minutes, died again. put back in old vid card, worked for another 10 minutes, died again. entered continuous reboot loop, and i decided to replace the vid card to the test card again. 3 second beeps, more swapping vid cards, then considered maybe it was cause the fan i put on the new heatesink didnt have the 3 pin connector, and the motherboard thot there was no heatsink/fan. plugged in the old fan and set it aside while new heatsink/fan did their job, booted up, worked for a few minutes, and died again. while old fan w/3 pin connector was connected, rebooted, 3 second beeps. figured maybe i unseated/messed up the seating of the processor during my struggle to clamp down the heatsink, so i took it off and reseated it, and still got 3 second beeps. unplugged old fan, figured maybe it was a memory problem, so i tested each stick individually, 3 second beeps.

sorry for the awful job on grammar and punctuation, its late and after an hour trying to figure out whats wrong i just want to go to sleep.

thank you very much to all who take the time to read my horrible rant and help out, i greatly appreciate it. <3

2. qldit

qldit

Good Evening viceless, what was the original reason you started playing with this machine?

Usually one slip with a screwdriver is fatal on many boards.

With AMD processors there is not much leeway if the thing overheats excessively, it sounds like it currently is operating so be extremely careful.
    It is rather important to fit the correct heat sink and fan, some odd heatsinks may ride on the electrolytic capacitors which is fatal.

So going back to basics, is the fan and heatsink the correct one for that processor?

Did you follow proper antistatic commonsense when operating on this machine and only work inside the case with the power removed?

Did you use the correct procedure ensuring the proper heat transfer compound was used appropriately?

Remember you are playing with hundreds of millions of electronic components and it only takes one to be affected to kill everything.
    There is no room for "whoops"!

In that it is going into boot cycles it is obvious a major problem exists, this could be processor overheat, memory problems, or some difference with the operating system on the drive and its system.
    Was this operating system loaded in this machine with these components and board?

Try booting into safe-mode, tap F8 as the boot passes the BIOS screen.
    If it will operate in Safe-mode is a start.

You need to apply absolute proper principles, otherwise it will get expensive.

qldit.

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I agree that it is probably overheating due to an incorrectly installed hsf.

Did you pull the board to install the hsf? I always pull the board on an xp type of processor; for two reasons.

1 It is very difficult to get the hsf installed and positioned correctly in the case. There is a recess on the hsf that must be positioned over a lip on the socket. If it hangs up on the lip or is on backwards, it will not work.

2 Next reason. The cpu die is exposed on an xp. It is very easy to crack the die if you are not careful installing the hsf.

What I would do. Pull the board and correctly install the hsf. Next pull the power supply out of the case and connect it to the board. Install your video card and connect the monitor. Use a small screwdriver to jump the pw_switch pins on the board and see if it will power up and run. Once you are sure it works, then reinstall the board into the case.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/485851

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice