1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Comp doesn't detect CD-RW

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by the.plaintastics, Jan 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. the.plaintastics

the.plaintastics Thread Starter

I have a CD-RW Disc that I want to erase, but my RW drive doesn't even detect that it's there!

The drive itself is fine b/c it can read other cd's, just not this one

When I check out the drive with the CD in there using windows explorer, it shows nothing!

And every time I try to erase the CD in Nero, it says that there is an unspecified recorder error and that I need to insert a rewriteable medium as if I didn't even put anything in the drive.

It used to be a little erratic like this and I would have to stick the CD in and out a couple of times before it worked, but this time it's totally busted.

2. gamerbyron

gamerbyron

Have you try other cds/dvds as well?

3. the.plaintastics

the.plaintastics Thread Starter

No I haven't tried out any other RWs, I only have this one :p

4. gamerbyron

gamerbyron

In the Device Manager, try uninstall the cd drive and restart the computer, after you reach into the desktop let windows install it for you. If you don't know how to go to device manager, go to control panels, system, hardware, and click device manager.

5. greed

greed

If that doesn't work do to the drive's manufacturer website and get the latest firmware for it.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/673790

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice