1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Comp don't turn off

Discussion in 'Software Development' started by goffer, Apr 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. goffer

goffer Thread Starter

my computer do not turn off if I'm connected to the internet during start up. When I discconnect to the internet and start up my comp, then it will be able to shut down properly later on.
    It will show as "shutting down" (something like that)nd will just stay there forever.
    PCcillin cannot detect any virus infections. I'm suspecting it to be something wrong with a program?

2. drpooter

drpooter

Hi What OS are you running?

Have you tried any of the following:

On Windows XP try running windows defender in case of spyware etc, or try one of the others searchanddestroy etc.

Check you have all latest updates.

Make sure you have no programs running when you shut down. try doing control + alt +delete viewing task manager and then seeing if you have any hi mem usuage programs running.

Has everything closed properly before you shut down?

Has this problem arisen recently and may you have installed something to cause it.

3. TheRobatron

TheRobatron

Do you still have problems if you disconnect from the internet after startup before you shut it down?

It may be because your computer crashes when trying to close the network connections. Has this always happened or is it recent?

4. gurutech

gurutech

Are you on dial-up, or broadband (cable, DSL, etc...)?

If you can't shutdown when connected to the internet, it sounds like you have something that is using the internet connection while you are connected, and then either stops or unloads itself when you disconnect from the internet.

I would suggest running a HijackThis scan (can download from TrendMicro website), and post a log file here.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/705758

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice