Comp Freezes When I Play Games HELP!!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Ratman_84

Ok, so I got a new mobo/processor and now my computer games freeze after playing for a while. It varies from one game to another. Half Life 2 freezes after about 30 minutes, Doom 3 freezes after about 10 minutes, and Vampire Bloodlines only froze a few times the whole time I played it. I could go for hours without it freezing. I'll be playing and the screen will just freeze. With Half Life 2, when it freezes I hear an error sound and then I crash back to desktop. When Doom 3 freezes, I have to restart the computer. I doubt it's an overheating problem, because I can immediately start up Half Life 2 again after it crashes and play for another half hour. It doesn't need any time to cool down. Here are my system specs.

Gigabyte K8 Triton Series (GA-K8NS) with Nforce 3
AMD 64-bit 3000+ running at 2000mhz (10x200)
Geforce 4 ti4600 128mb
512mb Ram
Windows XP Pro with Service Pack 1
Okia Power Supply 350W

I'm wondering if it's a problem with older and newer hardware, because the mobo and processor are new, but everything else is old. And by old, I don't mean OLD, just not brand new. The info I looked up on the mobo said it was compatible with my old hardware. One thing that is suspicious is that one stick of RAM is 2100 and the other is 2700. Could this be causing a problem? I got the RAM from a friend and didn't know it was two different speeds. Also, the Geforce 4 has a new fan on it. The original fan died, so I got a new fan made for Geforce cards and installed it. Technically, it's more powerful than the stock fan. I have to admit though, on the other side of the card, directly opposite from the GPU, it is BURNING hot to the touch. My friend said his graphics card gets that hot in the same spot also, but it still seems odd.

Also, I'm confused. Shouldn't an AMD 64bit 3000+ run at more than 2ghz? I don't see any overclocking options in the BIOS, but when I first hooked the computer up, "Top Performance" was selected and games would crash as soon as I loaded them. I disabled that and now I can play longer. So it seems like some component is old and can't handle certain speeds. Anyways, here's my CPU info according to the program AIDA32.

External Clock: 200mhz
Maximum Clock: 3200mhz
Current Clock: 2010mhz
Voltage: 1.7v

I'm also lagging in games I probably shouldn't be lagging in. I run Doom 3 on Medium setting at 800x600 and I lag pretty bad in some spots. And Half Life 2 can get a little laggy in some places on High detail and at 1024x768. Should this system be lagging with those settings? Cause I wasn't expecting to have lag. Especially with Doom 3 on such a low setting.

So what's the deal? Is my RAM holding me back and causing problems? Is there a voltage issue? Should I delete and reinstall DirectX? Please help. I spent a lot of money that I probably shouldn't have spent to update this computer to play newer games and now I can't even play them. Thanks in advance for any help.

Ratman_84

You really think that's it? I never had a problem before and I had the same power supply. Granted, I had a different motherboard and processor. Why would it crash more in one game than another? And would that cause lag?

Yes it may be the PSU but I wouldnt run out and buy a bigger PSU, because 350 watts is quite a bit of power for what your running. MAKE SURE that your video card isnt heating up too much. Is there something in the PCI slot right below it? If so move all the cards taking PCI slots to as far away from it as possible. When your running HL2 or whatever you should be able to touch the back of your card right behind the chip itself and not get burned. It will be hot, but you should be able to hold your fingers against it for a good 10-20-30 seconds. I know thats a real iffy test, but if you cant hold your finger on it for more than 3 seconds its too hot. If that is not the case then it is most likely either the memory or the powersupply. Most mobo's dont like memory from differant brands let alone differant speeds, its not ideal to have differant memory, but it should still work. Unfortunately for you having a stick of pc 2100 by proxy lowers the speed on your 2700 stick down to 2100 as well which may be the cause of your performance problems. If it all possible test it on a friends PSU if its significantly more powerfull than your own.

Ratman_84

I don't have anything in any of the PCI slots.

And when I run HL2 or any game for that matter, the other side of the card, opposite of the GPU is..........hot. When I say hot, I mean I can keep my finger on it for less than a second before it burns my finger. 3 seconds or more and I'd probably have to go to the hospital. I really don't think it should be as hot as it is. Actually, it's pretty hot even now, when I'm not playing any games. What could be the issue with that? And how could I solve it?

I'm not sure if I can get any of my friends to take out their power supply and let me test it. The one I have was given to me, so I'm lucky there.

One weird thing that I've noticed, and it's happened a few times, is when I put my case on the computer chasis, games will crash faster. I usually don't have the case on, and my friend said air would get circulated better if I put the case on, but the few times I've tried, the games crashed a lot faster.

In case anyone wants to check my computer temperatures and see if they are too hot, here are the temps according to Motherboard Monitor.

Case - 77 degrees farenheit
CPU - 42 degrees farenheit
Sensor 3 - 32 degrees farenheit

I have no idea what the case or sensor 3 temps are, but the CPU temp will go up to 44 or even 47 when I start running an audio application or some other semi-intense program. I've got a standard CPU fan, and I even have this old BIG fan from an old, dead Antec PSU that I hooked up and just have sitting in the case pointing at my graphics card.

What's the deal?

Sounds like an over heating problem with your graphics card. Make sure you installed the fan properly.

pugmug

Banned
Sounds like when you replaced the fan on the geforce you did not fit the heatsink back on 100% correct.Did you use thermal compound on the cards heatsink?If not do so.

Ratman_84

Yeah, I had some friends over helping me. We put the thermal paste stuff on. But we didn't cake it on, just a thin layer, and then we attached the fan.

Ratman_84

Ok, so I put a huge floor fan right up against the open case. Now Doom3 runs without crashing and seems to lag less. And that's awesome. But Half Life 2 still crashes. Doesn't lag, just crashes. I've been meaning to install some other graphics intense game, to test things out, but I haven't gotten around to that yet.

Also, a new, really annoying problem started and I'm wondering if anyone has any input. When I first start up my computer and I go to open either My Computer or Internet Explorer, it takes literally 30 seconds for either to open. Once I've opened them once, they open instantaneously after that, but the first time takes forever. At this point, I think there must be some higher being playing games with me, because this is a completely ridiculous problem that doesn't make any sense to me at all.

Also, why would my video card be overheating? It's got a fan on it that's more powerful than the stock fan.

Ratman_84 said:
Case - 77 degrees farenheit
CPU - 42 degrees farenheit
Sensor 3 - 32 degrees farenheit

What's the deal?
your temps are screwy, 77f i can believe, 42f for your cpu???? 42c maybe

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online