1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Comp freezes while playin WoW

Discussion in 'Games' started by Gygia, Oct 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Gygia

Gygia Thread Starter

i have been playing wow on this computer for over 2 yrs now an just recently oh id say with in the last 2 months alot of strange graphical issues have been happening, like lines from 1 point to another that are not suppose to be there an occasionally my screen would flicker usually followed with a total freeze, an the only thing i could do is reset it. now that was happening maybe once or twice a week but now it happens every 10 to 15 mins maybe even less. i have bought a new graphics card which should be here tomorrow(10/17/08) i just wanted to see if there could be another possible explanation(i know there could be endless things wrong)

2. Classics

Classics

Just a shot in the dark, but I heard that Blizzard improved the graphics in WoW. Try disabling the new effects (I think realistic shadows was one of them).
    Also try using the repair utility that is located in the WoW folder in your program files.

3. sup2a

sup2a

Blizzard do that a fair bit, but that shouldn't be causing stuff like that, Id say its a heat issue, clean out your case of all the dust, download speedfan and monitor the temperatures while playing, then post them back here.

4. Gygia

Gygia Thread Starter

gpu 111f-113f system 115-118f cpu 97f-102f aux 98f core 84-88 core 120f-128f ambient 32f cant play more then 2 mins the screen flickers an either i log out or freeze, i did the repair also did nothin

5. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    Have you opened up the case and cleaned out the inside of the PC? If you have had the PC a couple of years and have never done this it is likely to be full of dust, this will increase temperatures of components and can cause numerous problems. Although, having said that the temps you are reporting aren't particularly excessive.

It is possible the graphics card itself is on the way out. Do you have / play any other games and do you have problems with those aswell or is it just WoW?

6. sup2a

sup2a

the temperatures aren't that bad, the processor is borderline, i would be concerned if it goes over 60C right now its sitting at 53 if my conversions are correct. However dust in the case can cause shorting static and everything, not good... Best to clean it out even if it isn't particularly bad. Id have to say the same as Tanis, that could very well be a possibility... Have you updated drivers? im not sure what sort of difference it would make in this instance but give it a go anyway. As suggested try some other games and if you have any graphic intense programs run them, a graphics card will still run basic things like movies ect. even if it on the way out.

7. Gygia

Gygia Thread Starter

yea i play Call of duty 4 as well an that does the same thing, i updated my drivers on a consistent basis so thats not it an yea ive watched movies an tv shows on it an that runs fine just when i play games my video card should be here in a few so ill put that in an see what happens(thx for helping by the way really appreciate it)

8. sup2a

sup2a

lol just realized we haven't even asked you what your graphics card is, post what t is while i think for a while... :)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/759821

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice