1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Comp. going to heck!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lazybear, Jul 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lazybear

lazybear Thread Starter

My comp is showing all kinds of problems and I need help from the experts.:)

Specs:
    AMD Athlon XP 2800 x86 Family 6 Model 10
    Asus A7V8X-X revision 1007
    3GB Patriot Signature PC2700
    BFG Nvidia 6800 GT OC
    Maxtor 160GB
    WD 120GB
    Lite-on DVD
    Sony CD-ROM
    Soundmax integrated audio
    Windows XP Pro SP2

My rig is about a year old. About 2 weeks ago I started getting display problems. Out of nowhere the screen would be garbled with all sorts of pretty colors or a black and white checkerboard. I installed the newest driver and it made it worse. After rebooting a couple times I was able to get far enough in to disable the driver. After that I got a BSOD which stated something about the nvdisp.dll being bad. I remembered from another forum about the "infinate loop error" associated with nvidia drivers. I don't know why but I pulled the video card out and then reseated it and it seemed to solve my problems.

About a day later I got the same garbled screen only there was no hope of getting in to disable the driver. Format, reinstall, same problem. I switched to my secondary hd, format, reinstall. I got an old driver for the card and all seems ok.

New problems have surfaced. The sound card is no longer the default device. It's there and it works but whatever. The CD no longer acts right. When I insert a disc it wont read it at first or it reads it incorrectly. Example: I was installing Farcry. When it asked for disk 2 I put it in but still read it as disk 1. In order for it to read it right, I had to take out and reinsert the disk 3 times. When I tried installing a new game it still read the disk as Farcry1 and upon exploring the disk it showed Farcry1's content.(wierd) Once the games are installed the CD-rom acts as it should.

I tried installing an IDE controller card and as soon as I booted up I would either get a "frequency out of range" error or just a garbled screen. When I unplugged it the machine ran fine.

I've found and updated all drivers(except the vid.) and I also have a new version for the bios. I haven't installed the new bios yet mostly because I remember what happened last time I did that(different machine).

I've run virus checks, memory checks and spyware checks and all have come back clean.

I appreciate any help that can be given.

2. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

Since it's running winXP, have you tried a system restore to a point where you weren't experiencing the problems? :eek:

Also, judging by your specs, the only recent hardware you have in there is your video card. When you did the upgrade, did you take into account that you may need a bigger/better power supply to handle the upgraded video?

3. lazybear

lazybear Thread Starter

I tried a restore point and it worked for about half a day.

I forgot to mention the PSU. I did upgrade it. I've got an Xcase 600W.

4. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

Why 3gb of ram? Seems like two would be plenty. :confused:

Anyway. First thing I'd do is do a system restore to get it working right. Then clean up the startup menu, just remove everything except the essentials, to rule out a program causing the wierdness. If it stops, then add things back one at a time until you find the culprit.

Then I'd start detaching things. Unhook the cd-rom, since you really don't need it anyway, unhook everything you can, reboot and see if the problem still happens. If not, then hook everything back up one device at a time.

5. lazybear

lazybear Thread Starter

6. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

It seems the best way to sort out whats causing the problem is through process of elimination. From the problems your having, it really could be anything.

Example: I've seen hard drives going bad that cause sound problems. Any hardware or software could be the problem. Take out anything you don't absolutely need out of the equation and see if the problem still exist. If it still happens after a day or two, then start replacing whats left, starting with the most likely (the video card).

If it doesn't happen with the extras removed, then add them back one by one till you find whats causing the problems.

7. lazybear

lazybear Thread Starter

I'll try fiddling with different components. Maybe I'll get lucky.:rolleyes:

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/482443

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice